Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quattro San lives! (Updated as of 11/2/2004)

A little history lesson for the newbies. This: http://usmb.net/gallery/album287/Quattro_San?full=1 is the grand daddy of the performance subaru in the US. It began life as an 82 4WD hatch that was given to Western Washington University to develop a turbo system for subaru in implement on it's factory cars (EA81 Turbos). This is what the students and staff came up with. They were also the people who developed the overhead cams that EA82 owners have today as well as various other side projects such as a diesel EA81 and various subaru powered cars.

Any how, back to the story at hand. So, we moved this little bugger from its resting place (After filling the flat tires) only to find that pushing it didn't do much because the shoes in the driver's side rear brake were frozen to the drum. After dumping a bunch of oil on the gap in the drum it moved freely and was actually very easy to push! Anyway, we filled the tank with 92 octane (Almost put in leaded race gas!) and filled the radiator and checked the oil. Everything looked good so we gave her a try. Even after sitting for at least a year and a half (Probably hasn't been driven in at least 5-10) the poor car turned over! Then I remembered it was carburated so I fiddled with the choke and it actually started and idled very steadly! However we were told the turbo (IHI RHB6 for those interested) probably had a bad seal. This is probably true because the exhaust was full of blue smoke! We had also been told that it went through is entire supply of coolant in about five minutes, but we weren't told how. I assumed it had a really bad blown head gasket (It was a development car that has been beat on pretty hard after all). Thankfully it only appeared to be a very bad water pump gasket! Those are cheaper and much easier than a rebuild! So at this point we need a new set of tires, new turbo or reseal kit (Supplied by a contact at IHI) and a reman water pump. The interior is toast, but I'm going to put my two cents into having it reproduced as it is very unique. At that point we can give it a run around the block and see what else it needs! Wish us luck in the resurection of this monument in subaru performance history!

More pics can be seen here: http://usmb.net/gallery/album287

Pretty cool!

Uses an SU carburetor (Japanese manufacturer?). Don't think that SU could handle the airflow... our '67 Datsun 1600 had a pair.

Also, pic#7 in your gallery is a fuel flow meter, if my swisscheese memory is working right. back in the early '80s I had one of those as part of a "car computer" setup.

Good Luck! Kind of wish now that my daughter had opted for WWU instead of CWU!

Pretty cool!

Uses an SU carburetor (Japanese manufacturer?). Don't think that SU could handle the airflow... our '67 Datsun 1600 had a pair.

Also, pic#7 in your gallery is a fuel flow meter, if my swisscheese memory is working right. back in the early '80s I had one of those as part of a "car computer" setup.

Good Luck! Kind of wish now that my daughter had opted for WWU instead of CWU!

HA! thats the same crappy carb our fussy volvo 1800S has. Not a very good carb, you should slap on a DCOE 40mm carb. I'm gonna want to come take a better look at that one of these days! (Galen remember the problems I had that one day when I brought the 1800 over? Ya that was the carbs leaking gas everywhere.)

How the heck does that thing work?!?! Also, what the heck does it do?!?!

Again, I hope I am remembering the right piece of equipment... :confused: :

Fuel goes into one side of a circular track which has a small ball (plastic?) that can roll around track. As fuel enters track it pushes ball around track, fuel exits through another hole in track. There is an LED and a phototransistor, one above and one below the track and looking through windows on a portion of the track... ball goes past and interrupts LED signal to detector. Primitive CPU counts the pulses, applies appropriate multiplier, and voila! GPH!!!

Simple...

HA! thats the same crappy carb our fussy volvo 1800S has. Not a very good carb, you should slap on a DCOE 40mm carb. I'm gonna want to come take a better look at that one of these days! (Galen remember the problems I had that one day when I brought the 1800 over? Ya that was the carbs leaking gas everywhere.)

SUs usually don't leak gas. Probably had the seals go too dry at one point. SUs have a some advantages over DCOEs... especially cost!!! They (and the later Strombergs) were the mainstay of British performance cars until Lucas (Prince Of Darkness!!! :headbang: ) started selling their FI. Jaguar, Lotus, MG, Triumph, Austin Healey... all came with SUs. Datsun, while influenced by British design, came out with several cars with multiple SUs.

That being said, I have personally had enough of SUs. They use metal-to-metal sliding surfaces on their constant-depression slides, which can gum up pretty quickly. And I think I spent more time synchronizing the dual SUs on our Triumph more than I spent driving it.

• 2 weeks later...
...Also, pic#7 in your gallery is a fuel flow meter, if my swisscheese memory is working right. back in the early '80s I had one of those as part of a "car computer" setup...

FYI: I just ran across the computer head and wiring harness that my fuel flow sensor was connected to.

Well here's an update on our situation. We did a compression test that showed ok pressures in all cylinders, but when we did it on the engine after it was warmed up, the numbers were 50-60 psi lower. We decided to throw a good long block in the car and the one 1800 we found in Stupid Storage had spacers between the valve covers and the heads. Now WWU has done a lot of stuff with subarus in the past so I was weary about using an engine that had been done over. Anyway, I pulled the valve covers and what do you thibk I saw? How about roller rockers? This engine had a roller conversion done to it in the past, but I also noticed it had a air to water intercooler on it and a prototype exhaust manifold on it. I want to do a few tests on this engine before we commit to using it, but if not, this will be going into Quattro San. I'll snag pics of the setup on Wednesday for you guys. Keep an ear to this thread!

man if you have a peace of history (quattro san) in your possesion why whould you put a differnt motor in it even if it is a long ? short? block. i mean just seams strange to mess with it......is corky in on this deal with you. he was the one that found this car origanaly from the proff right?? anyway cool make shure to get pix of the roller cam and such.......

woah!!! back up jes a sec. I looked through your gallery, and the Quattro San is pretty kewl and all, but how bout a little more info on the diesel heads that are in the one pic!!! Like how well that went over, and how long before the block spontaniously migrated!
The diesel heads sucked I heard. If I have time, I might putz with them a bit.

This is WESTERN WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY'S CAR! Nobody can legally own it except WWU. I'm a student in the Vehicle Research Institute at WWU and one of my projects is to fix this puppy up. We dont have an appropriate longblock to replace the original with (Except the one thats in my garage), and this is avalible. If anyone in the Bellingham area has a GOOD engine that they want to donate to Quattro San, that would be great too!

The diesel heads sucked I heard. If I have time, I might putz with them a bit.

This is WESTERN WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY'S CAR! Nobody can legally own it except WWU. I'm a student in the Vehicle Research Institute at WWU and one of my projects is to fix this puppy up. We dont have an appropriate longblock to replace the original with (Except the one thats in my garage), and this is avalible. If anyone in the Bellingham area has a GOOD engine that they want to donate to Quattro San, that would be great too!

I'm glad that you are fixing it up, then I won't have to when it comes to my place. Dr. Seal told me that I could store it for the University when I get my garage built. So it will be nice to have it running.

A side note, that is not the orginal engine, Jackie Chan blew up the orginal one, that is the quickly thrown together second engine.

Well what I understand from word of mouth is that FHI farmed out the development of the overhead cam system for the EA82 (There is an engine sitting on a stand in the VRI that has an EA81 block with custom heads milled out of aluminum and OHC). After I gather more articles from the massive collection we have here, I'll have Mick throw them up. There are two about Quattro san. It was actually a project car that Subaru loaned to Motor Trend. They did a bunch of stuff to it, then gave it back to Subaru. Then Subaru gave it to us for some reason. This last part is a little fuzzy, but I'll try to get more facts. Have fun with the following info, LET THE BENCH RACING BEGIN!!!

Some figures from the articles compared to the EA81 turbo wagon R&T tested: (Note these are impressive only for a subaru)

Quattro San has a 4 speed D/R manual and the turbo wagon has a 3 speed 4WD automatic.

Quattro San: Estimated 110hp @ 5200rpm

Stock Turbo: 95hp @ 4800rpm

QS: Estimated 135lbft @ 3000rpm

ST: 123lbft @ 2000rpm

QS: Curb weight 2240 lbs

ST: curb weight 2630lbs/ test weight 2775lbs (Tested with Turbo 10 package [sunroof, electric windows, cruise control, electric mirrors and digi dash] along with a roof rack and misc options)

QS: 0-60 9.67 sec

ST: 0-60 13.0 sec

QS: 1/4 Mile 17.10 @ 77.7mph

ST: 1/4 Mile 19.0 @70mph

QS: 60-0 160 ft (Note: Nothing on the braking system was touched)

ST: 60-0 168(FWD)/158(4WD) (Note: The stock turbo car stopped better in 4WD than FWD)

QS: Estimated Skidpad .82g

ST: 200ft Skidpad .720g

QS: Brake diameter 7.2 in discs front/ 7.1 in rear drums

ST: 8.9 in discs front/ 7.1 in rear drums

I'll save the the other info for later. Maybe I gave you too much info too soon...

Well what I understand from word of mouth is that FHI farmed out the development of the overhead cam system for the EA82 (There is an engine sitting on a stand in the VRI that has an EA81 block with custom heads milled out of aluminum and OHC).
When I talked with Dr. Seal, he stated that they did the reseach work for the EJ series engines, not the EA82s. Look at the way the belts are on the EA81, that is one belt, not two like the EA82s.