Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quattro San lives! (Updated as of 11/2/2004)

Why would they use the EA81 block for testing when they already had the EA82 which was set up for overhead cams? It just doesn't make sense. I'll look at it today and ask the current prof who was a student there (I beleive).
No, at the time WWU got the contract, the EA82 was aready in development. When Dr. Seal went to Japan, the EA82 was already in production. So WWU used that EA81 as a start for the next gen OHC engines for Subaru, if you look at the belt layout, you'll see something similar to the EJ single belt design, not the two belt design of the EA82. If there would have been a couple of extra sets of OHC EA81 heads, I would have gotten them to create a duplicate engine for the road, but he couldn't find them, he thought that they might have gotten sent to Japan. Dr Seal is not too good at the Subaru engine numbering system, but when I showed him the differences in the EA82 and EJ series engine, he pointed to the EJ series and told me that was the one that they did the work on.

• 1 month later...
Turbo Carb?????

How easy is this to do??

can it be done with a stock carb?

BTW... this car looked awesome, i want it :brow:

Yes, this can be done. It has been done for at least 40 years in cars. It has drawbacks and compromises as compared with EFI, which is why most use EFI. There was a recent (December?) thread on this.

The thing that would discourage me the most is the possiblity of a backfire, especially with a draw-through application where there is a lot of pressurized combustable mixture sitting under your hood.

• 1 month later...

Its been a long time since this has been updated, so I figure I'll drop some news. QS's original engine has been removed and is about to be rebuilt. The spare engine that we have (The one with roller rockers) is being rebuilt too. Unfortunatly, I've been temporarily bumped from this project, but I'll do my best to make sure the guys working on the engines do a good job.

• 3 months later...

I realize I am a bit late learning about Quattro San. I remember the Cannonball Run Sube that Jackie Chan drove. I also remember some talk of it on this board. I had no idea that Sube gave the car to a school in Washington to work on. I read the whole thread and I am fascinated. Regretably I can't find any pics from the links supplied. Could somone point me in the right direction?

Also, why is the car named Quattro San?

Carfreak- did you ever scan any of the articles?

Thanks fo filling me in on this awesome, historical Sube!

-Jack

I feel like a moron but i couldn't find any pics in the albumns that the links lead to and I am dying to see this thing.

Thanks,

-Jack

Sorry, thats my bad. That was my album and it got deleted, but I can't edit that post, so I have remained silent until now! I have BIG NEWS! GREAT NEWS!!! QUATTRO SAN RUNS!!! Yes it is true! Despite the huge clouds of smoke billowing from the tailpipe and the puddles of oil that follow in its wake, QSan is operational and driveable! While I still need to find exactly where the oil leak is coming from, I'm pretty sure the turbo oil seals are the cause of the smoke. I'll keep the updates coming as well as new pics for those who want them, but until then here are all the old pictures I have of Quattro San. By the way, the car is called Quattro san because the project was an attempt to build a poor man's Audi Quattro which was the pinicle of 4WD performance at the time. Oh, and another thing, THIS IS NOT THE CAR FROM THE MOVIE!!! At some point that car was at Western too. How do I know this? Because there is a picture with our good ole Dr. Seal! (Notice the BRAT in the background). See picture below of Jackie Chan's Cannonball Run hatchback:

18Old_Quattro_San_2.jpg

The rest of the photos of Quattro San and of mystery WWU subaru stuff can be found here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?ppuser=18&cat=500

Any questions?

WOW! So many questions.....

Quattro San is awesome! What is that joystick?

showphoto.php?photo=6012&sort=1&cat=500&page=1showphoto.php?photo=6012&sort=1&cat=500&page=1showphoto.php?photo=6012&sort=1&cat=500&page=1(tried to posts pic here, didn't work? Mods?)

Also as for quattro san, what's the story on that trunk spoiler? And the sunroof, is that a ragtop? Where those two items available from the dealer or an aftermarket source; does anyone else have them?

And finally, what's the story on the brat with the huge hood scoop; do tell!!

The joystick is the fader for the stereo. The spoiler was a peice that was avalible for most hatchbacks in the 80's. The sunroof is a ragtop, but in its condition, we don't dare open it. Its aftermarket as well. I have zero info on that brat, sorry.

It came from a volume manufacturer. I know they still make this kind of thing, but having it installed might cost more than your car is worth.

What about the rear spoiler? was this part of a kit that was included w/ the front air dam? Was it available for sale by an aftermarket company or was it specially made for the QS?

• 5 years later...

I Have information & Pictures Posted in This Thread ~► Here, regarding the Development of the EA81D (Diesel) and the EJ Engines in the Washington University, Starting in my Post Nº 170, 174, then more info on post Nº 359 (Page 36) also I Posted This Link http://vri.etec.wwu.edu/

In Post Nº 341 I Posted This Picture of the First EJ Engine Prototype, seems to be like an EA81 with Overhead Cams and Timing Belt Drive... like the one Described back in this Thread:

Look at the Fuel injectors' place

SubaruEJEngine.jpg

interesting, isn't it?

Now I Know, after Reading this thread, that the "Quattro San" (or "Mr. 4" in English) is Not the same Subie that Jackie Chan Drove in the 1982 Movie "Cannonball Run" but, it was there too...

Could Anyone re-Upload the Missing Pictures of this Thread, Please?

There are any News about the "Quattro San"?

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
  • Like 1

I will see if I can find it and scan it at work next week, sure no problem.

But that red Estremo (there also was a white version, same car just different color) clearly shows the H6 turbo engine (2L, 250 PS) with air to water intercoolers above each head.