Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quattro San lives! (Updated as of 11/2/2004)

Quattro-san is currently in storage at Western Washington University. He is not in running condition. Further, it would take some REAL doing to get him back to running condition. His engine, an EA-81, was used by WWU as the test platform to develop the timing belt system for the EJ motors. I'm not sure as to the extent of the issues that prevent it from running, but its at STRANGE motor. It is quite likely the only one of its kind. I've got a friend up at WWU. I'll see about getting him to take some pics.

Dear lord there is a lot of misinformation about this car...

Quattro San is alive and well, sleeping as it has for many years.

Its engine is NOT the first EA81T. It was a magazine project car, Road and Track or Motor Trend, IIRC. I'll see if I scanned the article and reload it.

I have pictures of the DOHC test engine that I will post in time, see above.

The car and engine are two independent sources, and I'm pretty sure they never met each other long enough to be documented for the outside world...

As for the EA81D, there was never any official diesel engine, just a very poorly running test engine using a modified EA81.

Current pics of Quatro-San can be found here. And, by "current", I mean taken this week.

Here's a taste...

DSC04062.jpg

How did you find her? I didn't know you knew your way around WWU.

For those wondering, access to the car isn't restricted or anything, but you will definatly get some starange looks if you get caught wandering the Engineering building asking to see a battered old Subaru...

Those spacers? Don't worry about those, they only provide clearence for SB chevy roller-rockers, nothing to worry about...

Edited by carfreak85

How did you find her? I didn't know you knew your way around WWU.

For those wondering, access to the car isn't restricted or anything, but you will definatly get some starange looks if you get caught wandering the Engineering building asking to see a battered old Subaru...

Strange looks don't bother me! I wanna see it!

• 1 year later...

Really sad to see it sold, I had been told in the past that it couldn't be sold because it was university property. It looks like there are many parts missing (rear seats, etc.) but the big parts are there.

That being said, I'd be willing to help anyone who buys it with history, parts identification or contact with University staff who know its history.

I don't think I'll go after this car though, I've learned how much work goes into a car in as poor condition as this...