Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey Everybody,

I had recently purchased a 1998 Impreza Outback Sport 2.2L. It has 51,000 miles on it and runs like a champ. Could somebody tell me what a realistic replacement interval is for the timing belt on this model? Would anybody recommend replacing the tensioners and water pump at the same time? Thanks.

Hey Everybody,

I had recently purchased a 1998 Impreza Outback Sport 2.2L. It has 51,000 miles on it and runs like a champ. Could somebody tell me what a realistic replacement interval is for the timing belt on this model? Would anybody recommend replacing the tensioners and water pump at the same time? Thanks.

Hi. I think the timing belt is inspect at 60k miles and replace at 105k miles. As far as the waterpump goes, most people on here will tell you to do it at the same time as timing belt since it's pretty labor intensive. For tensioners, same thing. Check their condition when you do the timing belt. I'm sure others will chime in but hope this helps.

- Ed