Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

97 OBS missing around 2200-2500RPM

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dtate_*

Guest_dtate_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2002 - 05:43 PM

My 97 OBS (107K miles) has been missing on occasion at around 2200-2500 RPMs, so I've decided to do a general tune-up. Anyway, I am open to any advice concerning plug wires, fuel filter, (OEM verse after market,what is best?) and any other advice concerning tune-ups. One specific question, when changing the fuel filter do I need to worry about pressure within the fuel system, or can I just pull the hoses and hook up the new filter?

Anyway, any info will be appreciated!!!

David

#2 Guest_CipeR_*

Guest_CipeR_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2002 - 05:53 PM

The filter is before the pump right? I changed my filter without removing pressure from the line and I didnt have fuel spraing out all over.

Installing it was a pain, the hoses were hard as hell to remove.

#3 Guest_mrtoyou7747_*

Guest_mrtoyou7747_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2002 - 06:28 PM

Just did a TU on my '98OB with 100K
1. Change timing belt
2. Change plugs (use NGK Pt)
3. Change wires
4. Change other belts

Fuel filter is by the battery. Easy to do. Bought mine at Autozone (cheapest.)

Air filter should be replaced if you haven't in a year or are in areal dusty place.

Might want to consider replacing fluids in tranny, diff and brakes. Also have radiator fluid checked to see if it's still ok (Good mechanics have the instrument.)

#4 Guest_Jayhawk_*

Guest_Jayhawk_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2002 - 11:40 AM

Before changing your fuel filter, open your fuel filler cap and then unplug your fuel pump. Start the car and let it idle until it runs out of fuel and dies. Now the fuel system is depressurized. Otherwise, you may get a lot of fuel sprayed over your engine or yourself and that is not good!
J.

#5 Guest_dtate_*

Guest_dtate_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2002 - 08:06 PM

OK, I changed the fuel filter,ran a tank full of gas with fuel injector cleaner and the car still missed. Took it to the dealer for a full tune-up, plugs, injector cleaning, timing check and still the car is missing while cruising. The service guy at the dealer thought the plug wires looked good, but he suggests that I replace them, but only with OEM wires($15.00 a wire!!!). The guys at the local Advance Auto suggest to also use carb.cleaner on the butterfly valve on the air/fuel intake to clean out any carbon buildup. I did the valve cleaning,but have yet to purchase any plug wires. If the missing continues I will replace the wires,but wouldlike to have some advice on what to do,OEM or after market.

Thanks for all the info so far.

David

#6 Guest_Roadsplat_*

Guest_Roadsplat_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2002 - 08:28 PM

They're expensive but a great wire set is from Magnecor ( www.magnecor.com ) Much better than OEM. The cheapest place I found to get them is at www.cyberauto.com/

Not sure if you want to spend that much cash but if you do they are well worth it. Made a huge difference for me. Gas mileage went up, better response from the motor...overall the engine just seems to run better.

RC

#7 Guest_Legacy777_*

Guest_Legacy777_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2002 - 06:05 AM

I'd highly suggest you replace the wires!

My mom's truck was missing last time I visited around christmas time....her bf, who is a desiel mechanic didn't really think much of changing the wires, as they looked ok......however, after changing the wires.....Miss was gone.

The only word of caution I have for cleaning the butterfly plate is let the car sit for a little bit to get some of the cleaner to air out......before you start the car.

#8 Guest_dtate_*

Guest_dtate_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2002 - 05:58 PM

Josh,

I greatly valve your opinion, you really helped me with the 95 legacy thermastat problem I had back in Dec, 2001. (See Archive)

Anyway,I will replace the wires as soon as I can get some. No one has them in stock, (maybe that's why they were not replaced while at the dealership??, who knows?), so I've ordered them from the local NAPA, who can get them end by Thursday. I figure at least I can find out if the wires are the problem, even if I am not using OEM wires.

Also, I've notice that the missing occurs only in the afternoon after the engine has been at runiing temp. for about 15 mins. I haven't notice the missing in the mornings.Could it be that the insulative layer on the wires has degraded and the missing only occurs after the wire reachs a certain temp? Just a theory.

I will the results of the new wires after I install them.

Thanks all,

David

#9 Guest_Legacy777_*

Guest_Legacy777_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2002 - 08:03 PM

yeah....that would make sense.....you could have a break in conductivity or the wires simply getting old, and the heat is making the problem more evident.

Let us know what you find out.

#10 Guest_dtate_*

Guest_dtate_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2002 - 04:08 PM

arrrrgh.... OK, I replaced the plug wires today with a set purchased from NAPA, the wires look like the OEM. Pulled the car out of the local NAPA lot with the new wires installed, 5 miles of driving and the engine miss is still there!!!!

A review of what I have had done... A tank of gas with fuel injector cleaner added...

Tune-up at dealer.... plugs, air filter, fuel filter, air control valve, and fuel injection service. Included in tune-up was plug wire inspection and timing check. After driving home with the miss returning I call the dealer, they told the wires looked ok, but could be the problem.

Cleaned butterfly plate with carb. cleaner and as stated above replaced wires.

The miss occurs while crusing at road speed around 2200-3000 rpms. It is more noticable in the afternoon and during times when the outside temp is 65% F & above. NO change in gas consumption, it cranks and idles fine.

Any help or ideas are welcome!!!

Thanks. David

#11 Guest_PaganQWA_*

Guest_PaganQWA_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2002 - 04:28 PM

Here's a full tune up run down that I go by:

Air Filter -- Puralator
Oil Filter -- Puralator
Oil Change -- Castrol GTX
Coolant toped off -- Phosphate free antifreeze and distilled water
Spark Plugs -- NGK standard
Plug Wires -- Love the Yakamha(sp?) wires but hear Magnacore are premo :)
Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve (PCV)
Top off ATF fluid and Gear Oil
Top off tire pressure
Visual check on EVERYTHING -- clues you in on future repairs and maitanace

Thats my general 3,000 mile tune up.

Here's my higher milage tune up items.
All 3,000 mile tune up items
Thermostat -- Genuine Subaru Part
Fuel Filter -- Puralator
Accessory Belts -- Whatevers cheap :lol:
Change Differential Fluids (dont forget the rear for you lucky AWD peeps!)
Change ATF or Gear Oil for you lucky 5MT owners!
External Transmission Filter -- Puralator
Brake pads -- Had good luck with Raybestos
Brake Rotors if needed
And again the visual check on everything.

#12 Guest_dtate_*

Guest_dtate_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2002 - 05:03 PM

It looks like you cover all the bases. Gnerally I follow a similar program, but when this problem started to occur, I wanted to try to cover all bases myself, including having the pros take a look at it since they have resources that I don't have at home. So, far nothing mention in my other posting have work, so I'm lost and open to suggestions. Could it be a faulty erg valve? although I haven't had a check engine light, could there be some problem with the computer? Anyway, I am planning to call the dealer and take the car back to them and let them have any other go at it.

David

#13 Guest_Legacy777_*

Guest_Legacy777_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2002 - 06:21 AM

have you tested your coil, and or ignitor?

Sorry to hear it wasn't your wires.

When did the car start to do this miss?

I personally don't care to give as much trust in the dealer.....as some do. The only thing they have I don't......Select Monitor.....if I had one of those bad boys.....I'd be golden.

#14 Guest_meep424_*

Guest_meep424_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2002 - 07:34 AM

Try ONE tank of higher octane gas. If this is more prevalent when warm, it could be mild preignition, where the fuel ignites prematurely from either 1. heating during excessive compression, 2. a hot-spot in the cylinder retaining too much heat.

No 1. could be alleviated by removing excess carbon buildup
No. 2 would require teardown & [partial] rebuild.

If higher octane gas eliminates the misfire, then either of the above are possibilities.

Meep

#15 Guest_dtate_*

Guest_dtate_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2002 - 08:56 AM

Last summer the car developed a miss, one tank of fuel injector cleaner solved that problem. The current miss started up about 2 -3 weeks ago. First I tried the fuel injector cleaner, then decided to go through the other steps after it did not clear up. I have not tried a higher octane gas, will be taking it to the dealer this afternoon to take the tech. out on the road with me. Wish me luck!!

david

#16 Guest_dtate_*

Guest_dtate_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2002 - 01:45 PM

Just returned from the dealer and here is the deal. The tech that serviced the car on Tues. joined me for a ride in the car this afternoon. THe car performed the miss on several occasions. His first thought was torque converter, but then he said it maybe an electrical problem, either plug wires or coil. We returned to the shop, he check the electricals and then pulled codes with a scanner. He find a code indicating a problem with the solenoid switch for the torque converter. I will return on MOnday, leave the car, and pick up a loaner for a trip to work. He will drop the tranny pan and check out the switch and wiring.

Maybe we have been looking in the wrong place all along, hope to report that the probelm will be solved on Monday.

Thanks, questions & comments are welcome.

David

#17 Guest_dtate_*

Guest_dtate_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2002 - 05:29 PM

Sorry about bringing up this post again, but I thought I would follow-up on this problem. After waiting several weeks to get a solenoid AY Control switch, I had it installed today and the miss, studder is gone. I'm looking forward to many miles of studderless driving!

David

#18 Guest_SmashPDX_*

Guest_SmashPDX_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2002 - 07:22 PM

Anyone besides me think this thread is worth archiving? If so I'm going to change the topic to something more precise.

#19 Guest_Roadsplat_*

Guest_Roadsplat_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2002 - 09:07 PM

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you got the problem solved.

Sounds like a good one to archive.

RC

#20 Guest_SmashPDX_*

Guest_SmashPDX_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2002 - 09:24 PM

Cool, I'll stick it in the archives tomorrow.

#21 Guest_nim_*

Guest_nim_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2002 - 12:54 PM

why would a tranny solenoid cause an engine miss? i was right in there with 777 that it could be the coil pack or crank position sensor or something along that line.

#22 Guest_dtate_*

Guest_dtate_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2002 - 04:35 PM

Good question. When the service tech rode with me he stated that if the switch was causing the torque converter to grab then it makes the engine accelerate and decelerate which looks and feels like an engine miss. When it was occurring, the tach would drop and jump and the car would shudder,as if the engine was missing. The tech wasn't sure about the switch until he pulled the codes from the ECU.

Anyway, it fooled me.
David

#23 Guest_nim_*

Guest_nim_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2002 - 10:47 PM

are you talking about an electric torque converter LOCKUP solenoid? i imagine your car would be driving pretty choppy and referring to it as a miss would be generous. i used to have an 81 vette upon which the electric lockup failed, then shortly thereafter the entire tranny failed and needed to be replaced by a reman unit. no worry about this in the pooch though as it is a simple 3 speed non-locking unit. unfortunately, for something like this you must visit the dealer. $$

#24 Guest_dtate_*

Guest_dtate_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2002 - 07:19 AM

It really wasn't a very choppy ride, in fact it really seemed like the engine was missing, that is the best way to describe how the car was acting. The service folks at the dealer acted like it was no big deal, so hopefully the tranny is still sound. As far as $$, the switch was $141 and labor was around the same. The dealer comp me a tranny service since it took about a month to get the part and I had to leave the car with them for two days because of techs being out sick.

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users