Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wax and shine

Guest Legacy777
how did you keep the chips off the car, thats as good as new from what i can see, how did you do it.

There is chips on the car.....and there are imperfections in the paint and what not. It's not "perfect" but it's very very good....especially for bein 12 years old and have 152,000 miles on it.

What can I say.....my car is very photogenic :D hehehe

Guest willguidry

Ok...HUGE question.

And I'm suprised noone has asked it yet.

I plan on putting the rally vinyl on my car (when I get it =P )

I mean, hood, sides, truck everything.

So...how does waxing come into play with a car loaded with vinyl?

Can you still do it?

Or do I need to higher some immigrant (for 10 cents an hour) to go meticulously around every piece of vinyl?

LOL (Just a joke, don't mean to offend)

Or can I just wax over the top of the vinyl.

(Will it make that HORRENDOUS white outline around everything?)

Cheers

Will

Guest Legacy777

should be able to wax over without too many problems. There is a guy around Houston that has a WRX, and owns a graphics shop....ie vinyl stickers and what not. I'll ask him and see what he says.

Are you planning on leaving the vinyl on there?

If you have an i-club account, PM glilly just tell him legacy777 said he knew about vinyl stuff.

Guest blutrain1974

for a nice spring wax job, i'd check out mothers car care products. their clay bar, carnuba wax, and polish is quite good. they have some other products that supposedly help out the appearance of a vehicle with fading and swirl marked paint, but i havent tried them.

Guest Legacy777

well I don't really have a pic before and after. It still would be shiny....prob not as much......it's hard to really show how the wax brings out the depth in the clear coat and such.

Also I tend not to take pictures of the car when she's dirty ;)

Here are some pics of my car in Wa, like around the time I got it. Only prob is the pic quality sucks rump roast.

frontdriverfirst.jpg

legacy&bronco.jpg

Here's one after my cross country trip to PA.....of course it's been washed....not sure if it's been waxed though.

frontpass4.jpg

Check out my site in the image gallery. I'm got TONNNNSS of pictures of my car ;)

Guest MKIVSupra

Hey Will, read the bottle of whatever wax you are going to be using. It should say if you can use it over stickers and stuff. I do remember reading on bottles of some of the stuff I have tried in the past that said not to use over stickers. I don't remember what ones they were though, since I have tried so many brands of waxes and polishes. Also, it will be hard to get away from the white outlines. Some waxes will leave less white residue than others. The Zaino Bros stuff I use leaves hardly any. I use a toothbrush type tool that came in a detailing kit around the badges. One of those should would work real good around stickers. Good luck.