Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 year by markings?

I did a search but didn't find anything conclusive.

Picked up an ea81 engine with an unknown history. Can you tell what year it is from by other markings on the heads or crankcase? Stamped below the EA81 designation are the numbers 54519 which I figure is some sort of production number and also nearby are two circles, one with a 1/9 inside and the other with an 80/8 inside. I have no idea what these mean.

It'll be difficult to figure the exact model year of the engine without the car. Alot of EA81s are identical, but have different features depending on the location they were sold. CA, High Altitude, low altitude. Plus 1980-1983 are mostly solid lifters, whereas 1984-1986 are Hydro Lifters. 1980-1983 EA81's with AT's also had Hydro lifters, so thats another thing to keep in mind.

If you got the engine as a spare, it should bolt into any EA81 subaru from 1980-1986 however, without any difficulties or major trouble.

-Brian

I suspected this might be the case. An engine with amnesia. No past but hopefully a future.

I picked up the 4wd transmission with it as well and I'm hoping the pair will bolt into my 1979 ea71 wagon. From previous threads I think it will. I guess the lifter thing will clue me in somewhat if and when when I tear the ea81 apart. Its definitely not a runner.

Your '79 will need the crossmember from a '81 with a EA81 from the factory. The EA81 and the tranny will bolt together, and bolt in... but you may need to modify your crossmember, unless you can locate a '81 Brat Crossmember. And it has to be a '81 Brat, I dont think '80 Brats came with EA81's. From what I understand, the crossmember is the only thing you need to worry about.

-Brian

nope it's the linkage you hafta be careful of not the crossmember Brian cause the d/r has the same mounting points as the s/r tranny but the linkage on anything that is a gen 2 is different than the 81 brat d/r or any s/r of that era

I assume you mean the shift linkage?

use the same motor mounts so yeah use the motor mounts off the ea-71 and bolt them up to the ea-81 when you put it in

Sounds like its a go as long as I have the right tranny which looks like a mate to the ea81 but also has amnesia with no known history.

I did a search but didn't find anything conclusive.

Picked up an ea81 engine with an unknown history. Can you tell what year it is from by other markings on the heads or crankcase? Stamped below the EA81 designation are the numbers 54519 which I figure is some sort of production number and also nearby are two circles, one with a 1/9 inside and the other with an 80/8 inside. I have no idea what these mean.

Dealer might be able to ID it from the serial# you gave.

My 84 has a 6 digit serial#.Yours seems low.

I suspect the 80/8 is a date stamp but I couldn`t see one on mine to confirm.

Less reliable, but,if you post the 9 digit# off the disty and the carb# I can probably ID it.