Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GL Won't turn over! Just a click. What's wrong?

Just about to take my old GL in to get the head gaskets done and I guess it decided it's scared of the doctor cause it's playing dead.

When I turn the key on, all the warning lights come on like normal and then when I turn it to start, the voltage drops way down and I just hear a loud click.

It doesn't seem to try to turn the engine over at all.

Do I need a new starter?

Hope you all can diagnose it from this description.

Seems like it should be pretty straight forward, I just don't have experience with this or voltage meters to test things.

Thanks for the help....

Rashaan

check the +/- batt terminals...and check the connector on the starter...the little wire.

If it still clicks...then take a LARGE dia wire...say...4 guage or so...and touch to the + side off batt...and CAERFULLY work the wire down to that little connector on the starter with the wire off it...becarefull not to groud out anywhere...if the starter engages and engine starts up with key on...then there is something wrong with the starter contacts or the ig switch stuff...

my GL-10 did this..and I just ran large wire with a push button starter swtich.

I think that click you here is the solenoid plunger on the starter hitting the contacts. Problem is your contacts are probly worn or broken right off. These little chunks of copper are easy to replace and relatively cheap at 16$cdn 12somethin americanos. The starter is really easy to remove and work on.

I'm not much of a gambler but my money's on the contacts.

click click click click :banghead:

my brat was doing this exact thing lately.. but only if i tried to start it with the clutch.. in my dad thought it might be a "clutch switch" (yes i know, you subie gurus, that it doesn't have one... now).. so i checked and he checked we determined that maybe it doesn't have one, so it is the wiring. some where we got bad connections. i've had fun w/ brat wiring already. but i would check your GL if it has a "clutch switch" (some where under the drivers side dash) and this may be it, if it's a manual. ask some of the more veteran folks around here if it does. i honestly have no idea, but that's a shot at it.

When I turn the key on, all the warning lights come on like normal and then when I turn it to start, the voltage drops way down and I just hear a loud click.

If it still does this after you've cleaned and tightened both ends of the cables to the battery, you probably need to replace the starter.

Hey! the best thing to do is clean your terminals and bat. wires for ware or anything but after i would do that have a friend hit the cyliniod with a hammer not hard just tap and try starting it most of the time if a cyliniod is going out that can start it. i dont know why but its an old trick, but i dont think its a starter. OH yeah allways remember at least in alaska you can allways find a gl for 500 buck and use it for parts

Rockinroller, the hit the solenoid trick helps the plunger on the solenoid either make a good contact or frees it so it can hit the contacts. You don't need to do this as that click means the solenoid and plunger are working.

The contacts sit in the solenoid assembly.

Starter motors are very tough, i'm doubtful that you need a new one. Pull it off pull the solenoid asssembly apart, not the motor side, And look at the contacts if they are deeply dished or broken problem found.

We are talikn 30+ minutes here, really straight forward.

:burnout:

A little insight into starter/ solenoid workings...

the solenoid is a electromagnetic coil, in the center of this coil is the plunger or in trade terms the actuator.

the plunger is forced down by the magnetism from the coil,on the bottom of the plunger is a contact.It strikes the two contacts at the bottom and completes the electrical path between them.

Now the starter has power.

It's essentially another form of a relay that does heavy load switching.

Let us know how you make out. :)