Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!
|Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.
We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!
Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!
TPS, what a difference a fraction of an inch makes!
Posted 17 February 2002 - 10:14 AM
Posted 17 February 2002 - 04:05 PM
I'm very interested in testing the TPS and want to make certain I use the correct method.
Posted 17 February 2002 - 08:15 PM
None of my readings matched what Chiltons listed. All were below except for the Voltage test on terminal 2 (positive wire on plug going to TPS) and it was .09 over the 5 volit suggestion.
All resistance tests came up short on the actual TPS terminals but I didnt test resistances from pl ug to TPS. By the time I got to those tests I could crearly see nothing was adding up
I wonder though, is the actual TPS broke, harness, or the ECU? Since re adings from the harness plug terminals were wrong would that mean the ECU is sending the wrong amount of volts? Am I maybe getting bad readings becuase the TPS needs to be adjusted?
Posted 17 February 2002 - 11:46 PM
I pretty much got same results you did. Readings that were not really close to what the manual states. I tried setting it near the manual and I got check engine light. I'm really wondering if my TPS is crappy because the car just will not downshift when I dump it. it takes a couple secs. The car's almost always behind what I want it to do. I don't know if this is TPS or crappy trans, or possibly the bogggin intake thing. It's just getting anoying....and now that I'm driving it all the time again....I must have perfection...hahaha.....well something close to that will do.
Posted 19 February 2002 - 06:21 PM
I think it is more important that you get a good transition from closed to open in relation to total resisitance.
If you measure the two correct leads you get the maximum resistance available. Then you measure from one of those leads to the lead that the computer gets a reading from. The change in resistance should be completly smooth, with no spikes either up or down.
The same thing was true on my Supra. The Hanes/chiltons were never right.
Posted 20 February 2002 - 01:21 PM
Posted 20 February 2002 - 05:25 PM
Posted 20 February 2002 - 06:52 PM
1. On one lead the resistance should change as you move the sensor. I cant remember exactly the numbers but it should be from say 3 ohms at one end and 15 at the other?
2. Another set of leads should be the same resistance no matter where the sensor is
3. A third set of leads should read no connection at one end (first 10% of range) and directly connected with little resistance at the rest (90% of the range).
Posted 20 February 2002 - 10:44 PM
Posted 21 February 2002 - 10:34 AM
Posted 25 February 2002 - 01:33 PM
According to what i found about this, the 3rd wire should post values of 0.2-1.0 Volts on IDLE when engine warmed up.
Look at this:
I hope this helped some1.
Posted 25 February 2002 - 03:15 PM
Posted 25 February 2002 - 11:23 PM
Posted 26 February 2002 - 12:09 AM
Posted 26 February 2002 - 02:06 AM
The Diagram Shows you the OUTPUT Signal from the TPS....the INPUT is 5V (red wire).
Meaning: the output should be 0.2 - 1.0 Volt On Idle (Fully Closed) and 4.2 - 4.7 Volts when the throttle is Fully Opened.
Posted 01 March 2002 - 12:56 PM
Posted 01 March 2002 - 09:08 PM
Who are you saying not correct to?
Posted 02 March 2002 - 05:57 PM
Posted 03 March 2002 - 02:41 AM
The values that you see in the file attachment from my previous message(s) are equals to the values that the TPS should give you as an OUTPUT to the ECU.
as i said before: 0.2-1.0V in full closed throttle (signal wire)
and 1.0 to 4.7V in full OPEN throttle.
If you have a 3 wire TPS, check it and see by urself.
Posted 07 March 2002 - 12:52 AM
Posted 07 March 2002 - 07:43 PM
Posted 08 March 2002 - 12:51 PM
Posted 08 March 2002 - 02:45 PM
I believe the casing is riveted together.
Posted 08 March 2002 - 03:57 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users