Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Legacy GT wagon.....reliability?

I've got nearly 35000 miles on my Legacy with no problems, yet. Well, except for a defective front wheel bearing replaced under warranty at about 17000 miles (wheel bearing noise began much earlier and grew progressively louder).

Since recently joining this forum, I've learned that Subies, particularly the later models, are not nearly as trouble free as I had thought.

One area that concerns me is the matter of headgasket failure well before 100,000 miles(actually, I would think that a car that's designed and built with overall high quality control standards, durable parts and well maintained by it's owner should likely go well beyond 100,000 miles, and even 200,000 miles, without headgasket failure (at the 30,000 mile dealership service, they put some sort of additive in my Suby's radiator along with theanti-freeze/coolant change. Was that to reduce the chances of a headgasket failure?).Approximately what percentage of 2000(and later) models would you folks estimate can be expected to experience this problem? And how many of you year 2000+ Suby owners in this forum have experienced it?

Also, what kind of clutch life can be expected on these cars? I had an '86 Peugeot 505, a very trouble prone car....it cost me many, many thousands of dollars in repairs and countless trips to the Peugeot mechanic during the years that I drove it, but the original clutch was still going strong when I got rid of the car at 180,000 miles (why did I keep driving such a trouble prone car for so long? Masochistic tendencies, I guess. Actually, the handling characteristics of that car was absolutely outstanding). As with the bastard Peugeot, my driving is mostly on the freeway. I've been hearing about late model Suby's getting new clutches as earlier as 30-40,000 miles.

Is brake fluid level in the clutch master cylinder a good indication of clutch wear? The level has always remained virtually constant; I've never noticed any perceptible drop.

I haven't had any problems with mine... I bought it in december with 72k miles on it and it now has 91k... the only expensive thing that's gone out was the knock sensor... clutch and head gaskets are still going strong...

on my '85 GL I had 250k on it and no problems with the clutch...

as long as you take care of your subaru it will last forever... don't race the clutch and don't overheat the engine and you'll be fine...

I'm selling my 2000 Legacy GT wagon... can't afford the payments... ):

I've got nearly 35000 miles on my Legacy with no problems, yet. Well, except for a defective front wheel bearing replaced under warranty at about 17000 miles (wheel bearing noise began much earlier and grew progressively louder).

Since recently joining this forum, I've learned that Subies, particularly the later models, are not nearly as trouble free as I had thought.

One area that concerns me is the matter of headgasket failure well before 100,000 miles(actually, I would think that a car that's designed and built with overall high quality control standards, durable parts and well maintained by it's owner should likely go well beyond 100,000 miles, and even 200,000 miles, without headgasket failure (at the 30,000 mile dealership service, they put some sort of additive in my Suby's radiator along with theanti-freeze/coolant change. Was that to reduce the chances of a headgasket failure?).Approximately what percentage of 2000(and later) models would you folks estimate can be expected to experience this problem? And how many of you year 2000+ Suby owners in this forum have experienced it?

Also, what kind of clutch life can be expected on these cars? I had an '86 Peugeot 505, a very trouble prone car....it cost me many, many thousands of dollars in repairs and countless trips to the Peugeot mechanic during the years that I drove it, but the original clutch was still going strong when I got rid of the car at 180,000 miles (why did I keep driving such a trouble prone car for so long? Masochistic tendencies, I guess. Actually, the handling characteristics of that car was absolutely outstanding). As with the bastard Peugeot, my driving is mostly on the freeway. I've been hearing about late model Suby's getting new clutches as earlier as 30-40,000 miles.

Is brake fluid level in the clutch master cylinder a good indication of clutch wear? The level has always remained virtually constant; I've never noticed any perceptible drop.

if you have the phase 2. The goop seem to take care of possible leaks. I had the organic clutch in my 99 Forester and it was done at 85,000 miles.

when the organics are in there the car seems to usually have chatter on clutch release. If you have that it probably means you will have early clutch failure. The good part is the late clutch kit works, but my##@$%%^& dealer did not replace the pilot bearing and that just had to be done 16,000 miles later.

I am also a proud owner of a 2000 Subaru Legacy GT. Mine is a sedan. We have about 56k miles on it. We purchased it with 50k. Mine things on mine are that I have an exhaust sheild rattle, wind leak at driver window about 60mph and I think In need new rear shocks. I also have a clutch chatter sometimes, but I think it was from the previous owners driving habits. Usually clutch last past 100k.

But my father and I own a Subaru Repair shop, and many of our customer have newer Legacys and we are getting more and more of these vehicles in as they go out of warrantee, and people decide the dealership is too expensive.

The first question is that additive, yes it is suppose to prevent or stop seepage ( external leaks) from the headgasket and waterpump, and hose, etc. it is different than the 2.5 DOHC, those leaked internally allowing CO to get into the cooling sytem. I have seen very few that had to have headgasket replaced and that was before the additive was out. We have never done one at our shop but my father did a few at the previous shop he worked at.

We would like all parts to last out to 200k but the fact of the matter is I think that expecting headgasket to last out to 200k in all vehicle is unrealistic.

We would like all parts to last out to 200k but the fact of the matter is I think that expecting headgasket to last out to 200k in all vehicle is unrealistic.

Well said.

Subaru's, mostly Legacy's, did have a clutch shudder issue that was resolved with a kit containing a new clutch disc, pressure plate, and flywheel. Apparently the problem was a defect in the way the flywheel was constructed. The headgasket issues affect far less Phase 2 2.5's then Phase 1. Clutch life really depends on the driver. I just saw a new '05 with 400 miles on it, with the clutch disc burned down to the rivets and into the flywheel. A customer did this on a "test drive".