Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat sold, new daily driver picture

That's a good lookin' daily if you ask me, but I'll drive anything. :drunk:

How's the TurboWagon's coming along, Shawn? Being the owner of one of those lifted ea81t beasts myself, I've been curious how your turns out for a while but haven't seen much from you. Update?

My Turbowagon is sitting in the garage waiting for me to get off my duff and get it finished. I ran into a snag with replacing the brake master cylinder and with a custom axle that wouldnt clear the steering and got frustrated with it.

Thanks for the comments on the 80 Wagon. I like driving it alot, the little EA71 really puts out alot for its weight. The wagon is coming along nicely with some additions I found at the yard today and after waxing it the cosmic blue paint actually was pretty again. The sun has REALLY done a number to this car but im going to give it a go at looking pretty again with some paint and creativity. Somehow I found a pretty worn out but nice WOOD shifter knob that was an accessory in 1980. I also found a couple of slanted radio boxes and will cobble them together to have a radio in the car again.

Vanagon Westfalia (camper) is what Im looking for. I havent followed up with the one in Boulder but I thought it wasn't a camper. Ill have to re-read my PM's.

Im going to do an EJ22 swap. It requires stuff from KEP (Kennedy engine products) as well as a wiring harness conversion. Ill rebuild the engine before installing it. The Ej22 I am building will be 148 HP and the original engines in the vanagons are 1.9 and 2.1L engines that put out 81 and 90 HP respectively. I drove one setup like this the other day and it drove extremely well and pushed the 4000 pound bus around like it wasn't any big deal.

Shawn, I have a set of wheels that would really dress up you daily driver. A bit pricey, but decide for yourself:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2180&sort=1&cat=598&page=1

---Ed---

This is what im going to drive while I finish my Turbowagon and find a Vanagon to build.

2IMG_2979-med.JPG

Its a 1980 1600 GL 4wd (single range). 316k on the body, 50k on rebuilt engine.

Ed, those are too nice for this car. Ill bust out the SOS pads and some black paint one day and make these look 1/2 as good as those but 5 bucks out of pocket.

I hope somebody that is restoring a car buys those thats what they belong on.

Nice new driver there Shawn! Can't wait to see the new Vana-RU too..we gotta get together soon and show off the new cars.

Shawn,

Since you don't need the 1984 Subaru Hatchback I just gave you for free, could you give it to someone in need who can make use of it. Looks like you have a full plate (looking at picture of garage).

Dog1

is said hatchback in good condition....?:brow:

ShawnW emailed me back when he drove it home and said it did ninety mph. I was getting 28 mpg out of it when I last drove it. Third gear in the transmission was out (my guess was the syncros, but Shawn said the shift fork was probably bad). I drove it without third gear or a speedometer for about a year. It's a beater, but a beater with a lot of life left in it IMHO. You need to talk to Shawn about it as I gave him the title and it is his now to decide the fate of. I just thought it needed to go to a good home and/or someone in need with little cash but willing to work on it.

Dog1

Dog1@BigMailBox.net

• 1 month later...

It was very tempting. It need some touchup coating in spots where the blue shows thru but otherwise the daylight version isn't bad at all.

The little beast just got me thru the worst winter storm I have ever driven thru. I drove thru a blizzard from Lincoln Nebraska to Denver. I was in Lincoln at 11 and just got home at 12:18AM. 4wd was engaged all but 10 minutes of that 12 hour period (time zone). Interstate 80 was closed at one spot so I had to divert south to Kansas and take I-70 into Denver. Anybody that knows the midwest would know how much that sucked.