Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Further from my post about the tensioner, I am replacing (or considering replacing) the slave cylinder myself due to sticking clutch. Bled the system, helped a little, but still sticking. How easy a job is this to do oneself? I have seen mention that it is onle 30-60 mins work to unbolt the old and bolt in the new. Is this accurate? are there issues i should know about or pitfalls to avoid? Any experiences to be shared? this is on a manual 1999 forester.

Many many thanks. Great GREAT forum!

Why don't you mention this problem to the folks doing the timing belt? It might NOT be a slave cylinder problem at all. Be sure to tell them that you want them to assess the problem (not necessarily repair), and that you want them to call you before doing anything. Alternatively, tell them how much you're willing to spend before they need to call for authorization.

Replacing the slave cylinder isn't hard. There's two bolts that hold it on. You loosen the clutch line, and secure it to the new one. Bleeding the system of air can be more of a pain in the butt then installing it.

I too suggest you make sure that's the problem before replacing it.