Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru going into the deep freeze!

we had a winter up here-1996-97 i think. many nights of -35.

plugged in soob worked fine.

one night got to around -50. coldest i have ever seen it. still dont believe my two thermometers. otheres locally had it also... but the point being-

my soob started up reluctantly. plugged in with block heater. made some weird noises, let it run in neutral 10 minutes or so.

put it into gear, pressed on gas, it would not move, pressed gas, finally almost to floor[auto tranny] car started to creep forward.

problem was- the back wheels would not turn on the hard packed snow, they just slid. wheel bearing grease must have been too stiff. or rear diff- had 80w 90 in it. non-syn. after about a half mile or so, they started to turn.

dont know how this pertains to you, just thought i would throw it out there.

car was an 86 gl- carb.

i was impressed that it still ran. many newer cars were dead along the hwy.

Setright: I had heard that the legacy has the 100,000k speed record, but nothing beyond that. Where might I find more about this because I think that's the coolest thing ever.

Snowstormer: WOW! Subes are usaully great about dealing with low temps, but I am truly impressed!

dual optima yellowtops would be elite!!! cause they are drycell (some consider them gel cells) instead of lead acid batts which means NO WATER :) and might even think of running ATF in the tranny even though I dunno how the center diff would take it unless are they sealed? but yeah think of the ATF thing cause I used to have a camry that had that for the manual tranny and a manual tranny would be better for reliability and oh yeah if a open diff in the back is used try the ATF thing on that too cause it is somewhat light but lubricates well

Sorry to burst the bubble, but Optimas are not dry cell batteries. They have a fiberglass weave mesh between the plates. Water is absorbed into the mesh leaving nothing to spill. But, they will freeze. So do not discard the battery heater.

Steve