Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clicking when cornering!??

hey all,

it's been awhile, 1st time at this "new" board.....

anyway, I'm gettin' a ticking (disconcerning) from rear wheels when cornering.

(BTW: 82 GLW wagon, 4wd DR, KYBs & rear discs)

Sounds almost like the wheel are flexing and clipping calipers or ???!!

It has new rear wheel bearrings about a year old now done by a rebutable pro.....

gonna take a peak and check some bolts, any suggestions on what/where to look appreciated!!

shanonsf

82 GLW "Snow White"...manipulated.....;-)

Jack the Scoob up and wriggle around on the wheels to see if there is large movements, take the wheel off and check the brakes & calipers also check if there is any movements as well and yes check the bolts as you might've missed something.. last thing would be the CVs that could be worn out??

Cheers

Tristan

Like these guys said, jack it up and see if you got any play in the wheels. Then pull the wheels and make sure your calipers are still bolted on securely. It may very well be just common disk brake noise, curable with some disk brake/pad lubricant. Have you done brakes lately?

I'm not a subaru expert, but I've owned other FWD cars, and the only time I got CV noise was when cornerning. I believe that's because the wheels were turned and that put the CV at an odd angle. Your rear CV's shouldn't experience much of that in cornering.

hey there,

thx for the replies.

went thru the various brake & control arm bolts and there good. clicking has deminished but still present under hard cornering. only seems to be the right rear.

the axel shaft can slide sideways @ 1" in travel, is the excessive, is the CV blown?

-shanonsf

82 GLW "Snow White".....manipulated