Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm looking to replace my wife's '94 Jeep with something less truck-like. She wants 4cyl, 4wd, manual transmission, good gas mileage, and tall seating. We are looking at CRV, RAV4, OB, etc. I'm trying to point her toward a Legacy sedan or wagon or Outback so we have at least on regular car in the family. She nix'd the idea of a TSX. :(

I drove an Outback base 2.5i and a Legacy Ltd to day. I though the OB handled a bit to 'mushy', that the on-center feel of the wheel was 'twitchy' , that its brakes didn't feel crisp & firm, and that the clutch engagement was strange feeling. It didn't really excite me. I also drove a Legacy Ltd. That car felt quit a bit better. The brakes, clutch & handling all were pretty good, at least good enough that I'm leaning toward buying one. The shifting isn't as crisp as I want - but perhaps that can be fixed with an upgrade.

Questions:

1) Are the 10.5" standard brakes that much different than the 11.5" brakes on the ltd? The ltd brakes felt quite a bit better. Is that because they are larger brakes? It really was quite a difference.

2) Why would the clutches be so different? Normal manufacturing variation or is the OB intentionally setup differently?

3) Is the difference in handling due to the ride height? Are they sprung/damped differently? Any differences in power steering systems?

And of course:

4) Has the head gasket issue been resolved?

Thanks.

--Mike

Not as technically versed as some folks here but I will reply to maybe provoke more insite. Now these answers are based on my exp with my 2005 legacy GT limited.

1.) More brake surface normally equates to better braking with all other components being equal. That is true on any car.

2.) Not sure, may be intentional.

3.) They are sprung very differently and have different suspensions in addition to ride height. Also tire size/type makes a major difference in handling.

4.) According to Subaru, Yes ;)

And wrt to the shifter, get the short throw. Have one in mine and made all the difference in the world.

I have a 2000 Legacy GT Wagon and a 2005 OB 2.5i Ltd. They are both automatic but I find the handling and cornering of the 2000GT better than the OB. The OB is a more luxurious car. I might have gone for the GT wagon this year were it not for the damn hood scoop. My desire for the "boy racer" look has passed.

That said, I am still a big Sub fan and I feel there is good value in their product and I think the styling for the 05 MY Outback hit the mark. To me the styling has the flavor of a refined Lexus SUV just not as big or trucklike.

Buy a Subaru or I'll bloody your nose!

Thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking that a Legacy LTD Wagon might fit the bill. I'd get the base model if I could, but I definitely want the brake upgrade & so I'll probably end up with the LTD. It would make a good 'transition' vehicle for someone who still wants an SUV, but whose husband wants a sport sedan.

:)

--Mike