Ultimate Subaru Message Board

overheating in 1999 outback legacy

hey everyone,

Quick question-- i have a 1999 subaru outback legacy 2.5L, that i changed the thermastat on about a week ago secondary to overheating. It fixed the problem until today, when the temp guage pegged out to hot. i have plenty of fliud in the radiator and no leaks in the system. Does this sound like the thermastat is bad again? The heat also only blows cold air when i turned it on to maybe try to cool down the engine.

You Wio

hey everyone,

Quick question-- i have a 1999 subaru outback legacy 2.5L, that i changed the thermastat on about a week ago secondary to overheating. It fixed the problem until today, when the temp guage pegged out to hot. i have plenty of fliud in the radiator and no leaks in the system. Does this sound like the thermastat is bad again? The heat also only blows cold air when i turned it on to maybe try to cool down the engine.

Did you get all the air out of the cooling system? Do a search, and follow the recommended pocedures. If the engine still overheats, read below....

The 1999 Outback has the infamous Phase I engine, so an internally blown head gasket is a real possibility. Look for sludge in the radiator expansion tank. Run the car up to operating temperature, climb a step hill and then immediately inspect the radiator expansion tank for bubbles. Or have your mechanic test for exhaust gases in the coolant. Check for blown head gaskets before overheating causes additional damage.