Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey everyone!!

I noticed the other day that my exhaust started to get loud..and at about that moment I hit a bump going around a corner and my exhaust seperated!

It seems to have broken at the 2nd catalytic converter...

My questions are as follows:

The suburu exhaust system is 3 pieces? Front cat, rear cat and muffler..

Is that correct...

And, the "regular" subaru 2nd cat's are more than 200 dollars...But I also cam across a "universal" one...for 60 dollars...As far as anyone knows..is it ok to use the universal one? I just have a hard time spending 200 dollars on a 3 foot piece of muffler...

Or, can I bypass that 2nd cat..and just put a straight pipe in? I'm in Vermont, and there are no emmisions standards for cars here...They just make sure there are no leaks in the exhaust...

any advice would be great...basically, I am looking for the cheapest way to replace the 2nd cat in my 1993 subaru Legacy, wagon, non turbo, 4x4..

and I dont have a welder, and I dont know how to use one! :) so welding is out of the question unless someone wants to take a trip to Vermont to help me! :)

thanks for reading!!

Chris

Do you live in an emissions state? If so the straight pipe is out. If not I would say go ahead and do it. This can not be done easily on the 1st cat but I believe it is not hard to do with the second. Just know that no shop in their right mind will do this for you as it is a federal offense punishable by jail time and fines. Just do what I did. Go to your local parts store, get a piece of pipe long enough and close to the size (if they do not have exact size) and a tail pipe expander, some clamps and some muffler putty. Do the job yourself. Please for the love of god be sure to use ramps or jackstands!

Have fun...you should pick up a few extra HP too.

Thanks for the advice...no problems with emmisions in my state...So I am thinking Ill just try to get a pipe and do what you said...

Silly question..what is a pipe expander..I assume it will help make the pipe ends fit together...(or am I incorrect?)

I just hope I can figure out how to connect the new pipe to the front cat...

hopefull Ill find out tomorrow! :)

thanks

Chris

any other advice will still be appreciated, just in case I cant get this to work...