Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 outback breaks dont fit

I got new rotors for my outback wagon a while back, tossed them on and thought I was good, well when I put them on somhow I missed the fact that they are too small, the pads hang over the edge by about 1/4". Thats not good, so I went to buy new pads and rotors, I give the guy the info on my car, "2002 subaru outback 4cyl" he looks them up, gives me the parts and low and behold, the rotors are the same, too small, ones I have on there and the break pads arnt even going to think about fitting. So whats going on here? Did some of the 2002's have 2001, or 2003 breaks? was there a half year split in there somwhere no one told me about? whats going on here? Is there somplace I can get these parts without having to pay dealer prices?

I got new rotors for my outback wagon a while back, tossed them on and thought I was good, well when I put them on somhow I missed the fact that they are too small, the pads hang over the edge by about 1/4". Thats not good, so I went to buy new pads and rotors, I give the guy the info on my car, "2002 subaru outback 4cyl" he looks them up, gives me the parts and low and behold, the rotors are the same, too small, ones I have on there and the break pads arnt even going to think about fitting. So whats going on here? Did some of the 2002's have 2001, or 2003 breaks? was there a half year split in there somwhere no one told me about? whats going on here? Is there somplace I can get these parts without having to pay dealer prices?

Where are you getting these parts?

Is it a chain store?

You have to be very careful where you buy parts from, you can end up with issues like this.

The first set, the ones that are on there now are from AutoZone, the second set the ones I returned because they were the same as the first wrong set are from Consumer Auto Parts.

Any thoughts on where to get the proper parts? Was there a half year change in breaks in 2002 I dont know about? Do I really need to go pay tripple at the dealer? I mean 300 bucks is significantly higher than 100.

The first set, the ones that are on there now are from AutoZone, the second set the ones I returned because they were the same as the first wrong set are from Consumer Auto Parts.

Any thoughts on where to get the proper parts? Was there a half year change in breaks in 2002 I dont know about? Do I really need to go pay tripple at the dealer? I mean 300 bucks is significantly higher than 100.

Do you have Napa parts store?

The big chains Autozone, Checker, etc tend to not have very trained people and some parts tend to be junk.

Napa is kind of in-between chain stores and dealer.

yea there is a napa not all that far from here, but I think they are one of those places thats open 9:00 to 4:00 and closed from 11:00 to 1:00 for lunch. Never understood how places with hours like that stay in buisness, but there are a lot of places that seem to pull it off.

It sounds like you are caught between model years. My 97 OBW had smaller diameter rotors and wheels than my 02 OBW. I saved the winter tires and wheels from the 97 to use on the 02 and found that the wheels wouldn't clear the calipers on the 02. Subaru made the front rotors larger somewhere around 01 or 02. Sounds like you may have rotors that fit the older cars instead of for the 02. Is this a possibility?

yea there is a napa not all that far from here, but I think they are one of those places thats open 9:00 to 4:00 and closed from 11:00 to 1:00 for lunch. Never understood how places with hours like that stay in buisness, but there are a lot of places that seem to pull it off.
It is because they sell parts to shops. Most shops will not risk using low end parts from checker/auto zone, etc. So the bulk of their business is shops or pro shadetree types.

beings i'm the service manager here at the shop i have to order parts, etc.. i've run into this soooo many times. lol.. parts guys get the legacy (outback) and the regular outback mixed up.. have them pull out rotors and pads for both the outback and the legacy, you will find what your searching for..went through this on an 00 today and a 97 last week, and a 96 the week before..

ohh and it doesn't matter what parts store it comes from, napa, advance, autozone, etc.. they all do it..