Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yet another.....Forester Overheating

It's happend several times now.

Yesterday I was driving on the freeway, it was 36 degrees outside with rain/snow passing through my grill at 65 mph and I had the heater going. All the sudden my temp gauge rapidly starts to climb. Then it would go back down about as fast?

What's up with that? How can the engine heat up at those speeds under those conditions?

The first time it did it I was towing a trailer up a canyon in 90 degree heat so it seemed possible.

But this time there is no excuse!

I called the dealer and made an appointment...

I asked the dealer if this could be a sign of a head gasket going and he said it could be :mad:.

He then reminded me that I had my coolant recall work done and if it was a head gasket I was covered for 8 years/100,000 :o

I guess I'm just whining :-\

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--looking to get out in the snow

01 Forester--going to the doctor tonight

Sounds more like a bad themostat to me. If it's sticking, and gets stuck closed, it won't matter how much air is going through your radiator, since the coolant won't be going through your radiator. And the point where it dropped back down to normal range, that would be when the thermostat finally opened, and allowed the hot water to flow through the radiator. If you haven't already, try a new themostat before taking it in to the dealership, and see if the problem persists or not. They're pretty cheap, and something that you can do easily. hope this helps.

Where is the thermostat located?

I thought I heard it was on the bottom somewhere?

Is there a special way to refill he coolant so I don't get air trapped?

Do I need a gasket when I switch out a thermostat?

I'm not above messing with it.

Thanks,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--behaving

01 Forester--making me mad :mad:

follow bottem rad. hose to find t-stat housing. There is a seal on it (O-ring) You fill it through the top hose (with it off the rad.). And finally make sure you buy the t-stat at the dealer (better quality)

did I get them all????

Matt

PS there is an article on here somewhere about the proper way to fill the cooling system...