Ultimate Subaru Message Board

seeking some assistence for my lil sis in idaho...

ok. so my sister lives in idaho, and doesn't know a whole lot about cars, beyond how to start it up and drive. she drives an 82 wagon, 4x4. seeing as i am in oregon and wa, i can't exactly drive over to help her out. the story goes, she will be driving along, and randomly, her car will loose all power. she turn the key off, sit for a few minutes, then the car will start up. but later, it will cut out again. and sometimes, it won't start at all. so what i'm looking for is someone in the moscow idaho area who would be willing to sheck out her car, and maybe see if they can figure out the problem. i'd rather have someone tell her what is wrong, than have her take the car into a shop, and get walked on by some jackhole technician, lookin to make a few bucks off a blonde girl and her car. so... yeah. any help? let me know, and i'll tell you how you can get in touch with her. thanks!

As old as her car is, I'd be willing to bet no one ever changed the fuel filter; a clogged filter will exhibit the exact symptoms you describe. The primary fuel filter is underneath the car right next to the fuel pump. There's a fuel filter looking item in the engine compartment which is a fuel separator....change that one also. Any competent mechanic should be able to do that job in 20 to 25 minutes tops. She might still have the symptoms you describe, but she should have this done first before we get into it any deeper.

ok. so my sister lives in idaho, and doesn't know a whole lot about cars, beyond how to start it up and drive. she drives an 82 wagon, 4x4. seeing as i am in oregon and wa, i can't exactly drive over to help her out. the story goes, she will be driving along, and randomly, her car will loose all power. she turn the key off, sit for a few minutes, then the car will start up. but later, it will cut out again. and sometimes, it won't start at all. so what i'm looking for is someone in the moscow idaho area who would be willing to sheck out her car, and maybe see if they can figure out the problem. i'd rather have someone tell her what is wrong, than have her take the car into a shop, and get walked on by some jackhole technician, lookin to make a few bucks off a blonde girl and her car. so... yeah. any help? let me know, and i'll tell you how you can get in touch with her. thanks!

Have her pull the cover off the airfilter housing and look at the airfilter. If it has ice on it, tell her to add some good quality deicer to her gas. The heat from the engine will melt the ice and allow you to get a few more miles, then it will repeat until it stops you again. At least that is what happened to my 1984 Hatchback. I'd wipe the moisture out and make it a few more miles. Finally got all the water out of the gas, put a new filter in , and the problem went away. Sorry, don't live in the Idaho area.

Dog1

umm, the ice might be melted by the time she got the top offa the air filter.. What I don;t know is if the car loses power as in electrical power, or loases power as in engine power.... *shrugs* if it loses engine power, then I'd be going after the fuel filter.. Iso HEET works good for absorbing water, dump a bottle or two in and see if it helps lol....

oh and not all of us Automotive Technicians are JACKHOLES thankyouverymuch! :-P Just some of 'em....

oh and not all of us Automotive Technicians are JACKHOLES thankyouverymuch! :-P Just some of 'em....

maybe...

from what my sister has told me, it seems to loose electrical power, and then the car dies. as in, everything will shut off (lights, radio, ect.) then a second later the car will die.

from what my sister has told me, it seems to loose electrical power, and then the car dies. as in, everything will shut off (lights, radio, ect.) then a second later the car will die.
That's good information wasn't quite clear in your first post and changes by initial suggestion. Anyway, have your sister remove the kickpanel underneath the steering column and dash (about 6 screws). Look at the wire cable coming off the end of the ignition lock (opposite the key end) and follow it about 6 inches from the ignition switch to a pink plastic connector. Check the connector for a poor connection; this is usually visible in that the poor connection produces heat which turns a portion of the connector brown. That brown area will indicate the faulty wire (which actually feeds all power to the car). A competent technician can bypass the poor connection or replace the ignition switch harness with new or used (but good) harness from a junkyard; replacement time less than 30 minutes. Again this is a common problem on an early '80s car. I've found it in all of the older wagons (and brat) that we've had in our family. If it's not the cable, it can certainly be the ignition switch or a poor connection in the fusible link that feeds the ignition switch. In that case, you need to find a competent technician that you feel you can trust (they are out there).

Tips for finding a competent technician. Visit them often for the easy, routine maintanence that your car requires and talk with them about the car (avoid jiffy lube like places; they might be inexpensive for the easy stuff but can't help you with the hard stuff). In talking with them and seeing what you're charged you can decide whether you found a "keeper" or not. Good luck.

• 6 months later...

Idaho is a great state to own and drive a subsru in, but is a big state. What town is she in? I recently revived a 1982 wagon and could help if she is close to Mountain Home.

Everyone has their theory and here is mine.

I had a 1986 GL wagon, Ed used to drive it before it sat for like 2 years. When I finally fired it up the carb was kind of gummed up from old gas and lack of useage. The car lacked power, and sometimes would totally die and not restart for 5 minutes. Taking off the air cleaner would help it start sooner.

So, the carb COULD be on its way out.

My solution was a good used carb from a fellow board member. I just swapped it out in like 1 hour.

Just a theory though.

Funny thing, I actually go to school in Moscow, I'd be happy to take a look at her car and I have access to the school's vehicle shop too. I'll be around all weekend, until tuesday actually. After that I'll actually be heading to portland and back. Anyway, if she wants a hand tell her to give me a call. Brandon at 406-531-0678.