Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

96 Outback pedal/shifter vibration.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Narcoleptic

Narcoleptic

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Chico, TX

Posted 25 October 2004 - 08:47 PM

Just got done with some required service to my '96 Outback with a 2.2L and 5-speed. New timing belt, seals, water pump, clutch, pilot bearing, and throwout bearing.

I removed the engine and transmission for all of this, I had a leaky transmission from a bolt that was loose on the transmission. Had a local dealership seal it back up for me.

My problem after getting it all back together is a vibration through the pedals when the car is in gear and the clutch is engaged. It is only felt through the clutch and brake pedals, the shifter, and faintly through the steering wheel. It is a high-frequency vibration and seems to peak around 2500RPM -- which happens to be when the engine is the loudest with its growl.

Any ideas on this one? I thought it might be the driveshaft, as my marking on its orientation had disappeared, so I had to guess as to which way to bolt it back up. Only the vibration disappears with the transmission in neutral, and I can feel no vibrations in the rear or driveshaft tunnel of the car.

My other thought was the harmonic balance/crankshaft pulley. I had to tap two of the holes on the pulley to get it off the crankshaft snout, it was welded on there. Perhaps the minute amount of material remove threw it off balance.

#2 keith05legacyGT

keith05legacyGT

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • South County

Posted 26 October 2004 - 02:22 PM

May be simplistic but something similar was happening on my 98 Outback Sport after the clutch was replaced. There is a spring that connects to the Clutch linkage where it passes through the firewall into the engine bay. It went from a bracket on the linkage to a mount point welded to the firewall I seem to recall. I reconnected the spring and the problem went away. May not be your problem but something easy to check.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users