Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Installing new stereo in '05 Subaru?!?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mgiddings

mgiddings

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Chapel Hill

Posted 25 October 2004 - 10:46 PM

Hello Group,

I'm the proud owner of a new 2005 Outback (standard model).

I love it in every way, but one major (major) annoyance.

I have an iPod. I want it to play through the stereo. My car has the basic CD/Radio unit. I have tried two different FM modulators, and the sound quality is poor, and I get a lot of interference.

I tried to find a new stereo at Crutchfield, with an AUX input. They told me a very depressing thing: that the stereo and climate controls are integrated in the 2005, so that this stereo cannot be replaced! :slobber: :banghead: :banghead: :slobber:

Should I believe them? Would Subaru do something this pitifully stupid? Or is there some other way? Is Crutchfield confused?

Please help! I need my iPod!

Morgan

#2 howards11

howards11

2000 Forester L

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • PHL

Posted 25 October 2004 - 11:37 PM

Hello Group,

I'm the proud owner of a new 2005 Outback (standard model).

I love it in every way, but one major (major) annoyance.

I have an iPod. I want it to play through the stereo. My car has the basic CD/Radio unit. I have tried two different FM modulators, and the sound quality is poor, and I get a lot of interference.

I tried to find a new stereo at Crutchfield, with an AUX input. They told me a very depressing thing: that the stereo and climate controls are integrated in the 2005, so that this stereo cannot be replaced! :slobber: :banghead: :banghead: :slobber:

Should I believe them? Would Subaru do something this pitifully stupid? Or is there some other way? Is Crutchfield confused?

Please help! I need my iPod!

Morgan

That's what I heard about the '05 Outback. Crutchfield should know. That's their main business. I'm wondering if there is an upgrade available at the dealer's ?

~Howard
;)

#3 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,566 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 26 October 2004 - 11:29 AM

I don't know if they are integrated, however replacing just the radio would be kind of difficult since the trim and everything is all integrated.

You might want to try asking your subaru dealership, to see if they know or will tell you.

#4 charm

charm

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 26 October 2004 - 05:53 PM

If the stcok stereo has a CD changer control function, you can do exactly what you need without swapping decks. I haven't looked online for this myself since I don't own an ipod and I have an aux input on my current stereo, but they are now selling control wires that run from the CD changer control wire to the ipod. Anybody know if this is a possibility with this stereo?

#5 mgiddings

mgiddings

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Chapel Hill

Posted 26 October 2004 - 10:36 PM

That's what I heard about the '05 Outback. Crutchfield should know. That's their main business. I'm wondering if there is an upgrade available at the dealer's ?

~Howard
;)

The one time I asked about this issue at the dealer, they couldn't get any helpful informtion (though they said they tried...).

I will check with the dealer again, but I'm not hopeful..

#6 mgiddings

mgiddings

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Chapel Hill

Posted 26 October 2004 - 10:38 PM

If the stcok stereo has a CD changer control function, you can do exactly what you need without swapping decks. I haven't looked online for this myself since I don't own an ipod and I have an aux input on my current stereo, but they are now selling control wires that run from the CD changer control wire to the ipod. Anybody know if this is a possibility with this stereo?

Unfortunately, it came with the low-end stereo without the changer. I'm afraid to ask at the dealer how much it would cost to upgrade to the version with the CD changer. I'm sure it will be pricey.. :eek:

#7 howards11

howards11

2000 Forester L

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • PHL

Posted 26 October 2004 - 10:44 PM

The one time I asked about this issue at the dealer, they couldn't get any helpful informtion (though they said they tried...).

I will check with the dealer again, but I'm not hopeful..

Skip the dealer and give the nice people at SOA a call.

SOA= Subaru of America

~Howard
:eek:

#8 Yukonart

Yukonart

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 26 October 2004 - 11:21 PM

You can also check out the Interior forum at www.legacygt.com

Someone up there managed to successfully integrate an Ipod into their factory system. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users