Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PK can't contain himself anymore

P K

That should prove to be a pretty sweet car. Hope all goes well w/ it!

Legacy lift kit availibility?

I just read this post and was just about to ask the same question. My friend is sounding interested in a lift kit for a 96 Legacy. I haven't been able to find much out on the BYB site about that model Legacy being lifted. Any chance we could do it w/ a kit through you?

(fingers crossed)

I wont beat her up, just want to get her airborne without too much worry.

Legacy Lift kit - The Legacy lift is not what I wanted as it sits: that is - it is a body lift of 3-4 inches, HOWEVER, in doing it the usual way, there is no room to add larger tires because of the strut coil in the way, above the tire. The solution is to buy Outback front struts ($300 pair) and Legacy 2WD rear struts ($130 pair), which both have the lower coil perch about 2 inches higher, thus allowing 4 inch taller tires. (stock are 24.? inches, so then 28" tires are possible).

Unfortunately, the lift kit portion will still cost $400+ , so the total lift package = $830+, plus more costly shipping. Secondly, the kits are different between the years- 1990 vs 1992 etc. It's really turning into a logistics problem.

For me, I figure I can just lift her 2 inches and go just one size bigger on tires. For those who want lift and big tires - right now I dunno :banghead: .

lift? and rally? a sweet RARE turbo legacy? I love the car but I dont understand the plans well. rally cars use heavyduty struts/springs with a minimal amount of lift to keep the weight low but handle the bumps.

sorry to rain on the parade but it just does not seem right for such a clean car.

If you wanted to trick it out for street use I would be excited for you as that would make one awsome ride.

yeah swap with junkie:brow: his is rally ready

:slobber: :slobber: :slobber: That is one beautiful car! Once again I am jealous.

"listen to the voices in my head..one day you will have a sweet ride like that too..one day you will have a sweet ride like that too..and my Loyale is nice and I love it...but it needs a friend"

I agree, lift and rally dont go together. I want to run fast on the dunes and dirt roads, and the minimal ground clearance scares me. I figure 2 inches is enough to get some more wheel travel (one inch body and one inch strut lift). BYB Brett's in OZ has a 3-inch lift with 28" tires:

libert1.jpg

A little more than I want, but I want more than stock. I am always open for suggestions and opinions. Besides, I am in the business :)

thanks, PK

Yeah, 2" will be plenty. My tires measure 26.1" They wouldnt work on the legacy since they're for 14" rims, but you might be able to find a nice, small tire for 15" rims to suit your needs. I hope you feel comfortable with cutting out the fenders too :)

I understand if you dont want to use mine. It needs new suspension and steering anyway. Oh, and a fender now too. White legacy's look better dirty anyway.

-Brian

dont be afraid of the ground clearance. there's plenty to get you out of most situations. Like ralllyruss said rally cars dont have huge ground clearance. they just have ultra stiff shocks/struts and springs. You'd be better off spending that money on a good set of DMS coil overs or something.

u can get the Outback body/frame spacers for an extra 1 inch.

and this is nuts...USMD legacy turbo, the original one...lift?

Rally i understand....but lift...?????? :eek::confused:

EIther way...sweet score. and i know some people who woudl come after you in your sleep for even thinking lift and USDM legacy turbo in the same sentence...

Actually rally cars have relitivly soft suspensions. They have soft springs with stiff dampners and lots and lots of travel. Just thought that should be cleared up.
I guess its a matter of opinion as to what you consider "soft springs"

all the rally cars I ever crewed for had stiffer springs and struts than a stock car would have had.

I guess a 2" lift would be acceptable. I just invision a lifted monster when the term lift comes in. cool cool:cool:

pk lift on and rally that thing in a way that makes the auzzzzzzzzzzz guys drool. i love that kind of driving (relly fast over ruff stuff) kinda like the 959 that were lifted 6in (or somthing) and run in the paris to dakar rally. anyway agian lift it and i will want to steal it. leave it stock and it will be just another mild turbo with lots of potental. ...

ps ROLL CAGE.