Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Colorado All Season Tire recommendation

Ok I am getting new tires for my OBW.

Here is my dilemma, I drive a lot, 500miles a week, in Colorado weather. Which means snow, rain, dry, etc.

I have been looking at several tires.

Arizonian silver edition

Michelin HydroEdge

Goodyear Assurance TripleTred

Nokian WR

I love the Nokian but the are expensive and only have a 50,000 mile warranty. Which would last me just 1 ½ years with my driving. The shop recommended the Arizonian silver (store brand goodyear tire) said they have sold it as snow tire one year when the ran out of snow tires.

Does anyone in Colorado have any experience with these? Or have recommendation?

It is going to snow here soon and I need tires!

I have had the HydroEdge tires since last year. New England snow isn't the same as CO snow (it costs less, apparently) but they have worked superbly well in all conditions from Poividence RI to Monreal to Sangerville, ME and back to Boston. I have driven them 26,000 mile so far, which has worn them 1 1/2 32nds (off the new 11/32nds) tread depth.

I would certainly suggest a 2nd pair of Nokian winter tires on a separate set of rims. One note is that the Nokian tires seem to work well throughout the life of the tread whereas other brands seem to work well when new but their effectiveness drops off after 30% or so of the tread is gone. As a 2nd alternative I've had good success with Toyo Observe. Another note, all my experience recently has been with the studless snow tires.

I have had the HydroEdge tires since last year. New England snow isn't the same as CO snow (it costs less, apparently) but they have worked superbly well in all conditions from Poividence RI to Monreal to Sangerville, ME and back to Boston. I have driven them 26,000 mile so far, which has worn them 1 1/2 32nds (off the new 11/32nds) tread depth.
CO snow cost more?

How much snow inches have you used them for?

Thanks

I would certainly suggest a 2nd pair of Nokian winter tires on a separate set of rims. One note is that the Nokian tires seem to work well throughout the life of the tread whereas other brands seem to work well when new but their effectiveness drops off after 30% or so of the tread is gone. As a 2nd alternative I've had good success with Toyo Observe. Another note, all my experience recently has been with the studless snow tires.
The Nokian WR is a all-weather tire so you do not need 2 sets, only downside is it only a 50k tire.

The Nokian WR is a all-weather tire so you do not need 2 sets, only downside is it only a 50k tire.
I currently have the WRs on my Legacy and Brat. I used to carry two sets of tires on separate wheels and swap off in November and May.....a full blown summer radial and the Hakki Qs for the winter. I just got tired of having the same 8 tires for 4 years or so; so I just switched to the WRs and I will be replacing them next summer at just a little over 50K.

Here is my dilemma, I drive a lot, 500miles a week, in Colorado weather. Which means snow, rain, dry, etc.

Arizonian silver edition

Michelin HydroEdge

Nokian WR

I love the Nokian but the are expensive and only have a 50,000 mile warranty. Which would last me just 1 ½ years with my driving. The shop recommended the Arizonian silver (store brand goodyear tire) said they have sold it as snow tire one year when the ran out of snow tires.

I used the Arizona Silver Editions on my (former) '97 Outback and other than noisy at speed on concrete Interstate, they were good in snow and rain. Also have a set on a '98 Nissan Frontier (POS) extremely noisy and do not grip well on wet roads (Frontier WAY too light for these tires).

How much snow inches have you used them for?

Do you mean, what is the deepest depth of snow I've driven in, or how often, or?

The depth of snow I've driven in is entirely academic, since the worst snow conditions here are Northeasters that pack relatively heavy, wet snow with 30-45 mph winds. It's like wet concrete, and can often immobilize a car with 6-8" down. If that answers your question.

The only time I've driven in CO was a two week ski trip years ago to Steamboat, including a trip through Rabbit Ears pass in a goodly snowstorm at night. We almost never get that kind of light, fluffy powder here. I wish we did, it would make driving a lot easier.

When we do, I can plow with the front of my Subaru - about once a season, usually in early March, and usually in VT. If that answers your question.

I've done a lot of driving in the German, Austrian, Swiss, or Italian Alps, and didn't find the CO driving conditions to be especially challenging, but I don't live there.

I had the Arizona Silver Editions on my (former) '97 Outback and other than noisy at speed on concrete Interstate, they were good in snow and rain. Also have a set on a '98 Nissan Frontier extremely noisy and do not grip well on wet roads (Frontier WAY too light for these tires)

Thanks for the info.

Well I have spend all day searching and talking to shops.

Most all the shops have recomended the

This is a comparison at vs other all-season tires.

Anyone here use these?

Thanks

New England snow isn't the same as CO snow (it costs less, apparently)
i think this means in car repairs!!

at least thats my take on new england winter driving and colorado winter driving.

colorado being alot easier to drive in than new england! and i stress alot easier!

I'd recommend you get a dedicated winter tire set.
I was going to go this route, but Colorado weather is all over the place.

Last year on monday is was raining hard, tue 60 degrees, wed 30 inches snow, Saturday roads were dry, all snow melted.

Those Goodyears have very similar specs to the HydroEdge, so if they perform at all like mine they should be just what you're looking for. How much are they compared to the Michelins?
The Michelins are $125 each m&b

Goodyears are $105 each m&b

I am a fellow Parker resident. I have a 2000 OBW. I have tried the Blizzack, and Nokian wr. Both had VERY poor tread life! I then went to WALMART of all places and bought a set of Goodyear American Eagles. 70K warranty and great in the snow and rain. I too average 5-600 miles per week and these skins have been execelent! The tires were about $70.00 ea with warranty package.

Arizonian silver edition

Michelin HydroEdge

Nokian WR

Thanks for the link to the info on the tire ratings RWEDDY. After looking at the reviews on the Triple Tread I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a set of these for my car. I will keep these in mind for when I need another set of tires later, and I use summer and winter tires.

Thanks for the link to the info on the tire ratings RWEDDY. After looking at the reviews on the Triple Tread I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a set of these for my car. I will keep these in mind for when I need another set of tires later, and I use summer and winter tires.
I just wish there were more snow reviews on the tires.

But they look great and I am thinking of getting them for sure.

I am a fellow Parker resident. I have a 2000 OBW. I have tried the Blizzack, and Nokian wr. Both had VERY poor tread life! I then went to WALMART of all places and bought a set of Goodyear American Eagles. 70K warranty and great in the snow and rain. I too average 5-600 miles per week and these skins have been execelent! The tires were about $70.00 ea with warranty package.
Sounds like you drive like I do!!

Thanks for the advise, I will check them out for sure!!