Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4-Speed Auto Availability

I read in someone's thread that in 1987 Subaru introduced the electronic 4 speed automatic transmission.I have an 87 GL-10 Turbowagon. Is it an easy swap-out with the 3-speed auto? This would take into consideration that I could find one. Since we've raised the speed limit from 55 to 70+, the engine runs in a higher RPM range than I would like. I'd like to have my soob for 300,000+ miles, like I did with my 88 turbo wagon, but it was a 5-speed (which I miss alot). Any advice out there? :confused:

I read in someone's thread that in 1987 Subaru introduced the electronic 4 speed automatic transmission.I have an 87 GL-10 Turbowagon. Is it an easy swap-out with the 3-speed auto? This would take into consideration that I could find one. Since we've raised the speed limit from 55 to 70+, the engine runs in a higher RPM range than I would like. I'd like to have my soob for 300,000+ miles, like I did with my 88 turbo wagon, but it was a 5-speed (which I miss alot). Any advice out there? :confused:

Not much help on the auto side of things, but if you are swapping transmissions, and missing the 5-speed...

It just seems silly to even consider the automatic.

The 4 EAT is an electronically controlled Auto transmission. It could be swapped in place of your 3AT, but you would also need to swap in the TCU and all associated wiring.

IIRC, my 3AT turbowagon sat at just above 4k at 70mph.. perfectly acceptable RPM range for a decently maintianed EA82.