Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dealer Service Records???

I recently got a used 95 Legacy wagon. I did not buy the car from the original owners, but I did get to speak with the guy's wife on the phone. They had bought the car brand new and drove it until someone hit him--I bought the car wrecked.

Anyway, she said that they took the car back to the dealership for all of its scheduled maintenance. (She commented that the Subaru's scheduled maintenance cost them more than their Mercedes.) However, she wasn't for sure what all had been done at those times and they had since thrown away their reseipts. I'm mainly trying to find out if the timing belt had been replaced. They owned the car up to 150,000 miles.

I have the dealership information. If I call them, will they still have the service records for the car on file, and if so, would they fax them to me? Should I say I bought the car from the original owners, or would that keep them from giving me the records; or, should I just pretend I'm the owner and ask them to fax me my records? Thanks so much.

If you go to the SOA website and register as the new owner of the car (you'll need your VIN), you 'should' be able to download the records from the database ... providing the dealer uploaded the work in a timely fashion.

When we bought our '00 Legacy we were able to review all dealer performed maintenance.

Thanks--I'll give that a try. It'd be great to know what all has been done--especially if that means me avoiding doing something unnecessary as maintenance.

If you go to the SOA website and register as the new owner of the car (you'll need your VIN), you 'should' be able to download the records from the database ... providing the dealer uploaded the work in a timely fashion.

When we bought our '00 Legacy we were able to review all dealer performed maintenance.