Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Changing Transmission on 91 Legacy 4WD

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#51 Guest_jcniest5_*

Guest_jcniest5_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2001 - 09:51 AM

Can the sleeve be easily slided out? Or will it require some hard pulling? I think I saw it came out with the TC at the seller's place when they separated the tranny off the engine. Then after that, it slided back in and I cannot get it out anymore. Do you think if I stand it upright, the sleeve would slide out byself?

#52 Guest_Huckster_*

Guest_Huckster_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2001 - 10:36 AM

That I don't know. I haven't removed the sleeve before.

#53 Guest_jcniest5_*

Guest_jcniest5_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2001 - 12:43 PM

Hmmmm...well, I guess I will find out tonight, giving it one more crack and if I can't go any further, I will take it back to the seller.

I wonder if I can stand the tranny straight up and see if the sleeve would drop/slide out by itself.

#54 Guest_jcniest5_*

Guest_jcniest5_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2001 - 03:33 AM

I have some very couraging news to share. I was finally able to do put the TC all the way into the tranny.

Here's the trick to it: There are three clicks/snaps before the TC is all the way in. The first click/snap is when the two cut-outs on your TC go into the two humps/bumps (excuse my language again here) on the sleeve. The second click/snap is when the two cut-outs at the end of the sleeve go into two humps/bumps at the very end of the hole. The third snap is when the inner pin goes into the very back of the tranny.

I made countless (in the 100s of) attempts to try the third click/snap, yet was never able to. I disassembled my old trannny and experimented with it where I can actually see how it goes into.

I found a trick that will save you tons of headaches. First, before everything else, try pushing and turning the inner pin (you can take it out) until it snaps in then proceed to the other two. This pin is very hard to go in, but with patient, some pushing and turning, it will eventually go in. You will know when it goes in.

To be continued, as my eyes are closing on me.

#55 Guest_Huckster_*

Guest_Huckster_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2001 - 04:52 AM

Great news!
Did you tie it back to keep it from sliding forward while tring to get it back up in the car?
I know you don't want to go through all this again!!
Once you get it up in the car the rest will go pretty quick, and much easier.
Congrats, you're almost there!

#56 Guest_jcniest5_*

Guest_jcniest5_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2001 - 09:39 AM

Okay, I promised to continue my story about changing the tranny on my Legacy 4WD. Wow, look at this topic. It's getting longer everyday. But here we go again.

Huckster, yes, I tied that sucker using rope so that it won't slide out, but the sleeve at the rear of tranny was broken, I think it may be from the accident that sent the vehicle that this tranny came with to the junkyard.

So I had to take out the rear of my old tranny and put it on this tranny, but the gasket isn't reuseable, so I'm using Super Black Thermal Gasket Sealer on it. Is this okay? If not, I may need to go and get the real gasket.

That's where I'm of as now. I was too tired last night so I didn't bother to mount the tranny to the engine yet. Later today when I get home, I will do just that.

Stay tuned...

#57 Guest_Huckster_*

Guest_Huckster_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2001 - 09:51 AM

The sealer should work fine.
You didn't change out the rear clutch pack while you had it off did you?
You definitely want to use the low milage clutch pack(the one in the rear section is what engages the rear drive), your old clutch pack is surely contaminated and worn.

#58 Guest_jcniest5_*

Guest_jcniest5_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2001 - 10:07 AM

No, I haven't changed the clutch packs yet. Aren't those consisted of something 5-8 pieces? No auto stores have them. Must be dealer only items, I think. Any ideas how much they cost? Is there such thing as a high performance and normal version?

#59 Guest_Huckster_*

Guest_Huckster_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2001 - 06:30 PM

I doubt you need a new clutch pack, I just wanted to be sure when you swaped rear tranny sections you didn't use the one out of your old tranny, as you can remove the rear pack with the rear cover off.
I assume you just switched the rear cover, in which case there is no problem.

#60 Guest_jcniest5_*

Guest_jcniest5_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2001 - 12:46 AM

Well, I have very good news to tell you all. This afternoon, I completed changing the tranny on my Subie. It was a hard work, I tell you. But without you all, the tips and recommendation, I wouldn't have done it.

After what seemed eternity and numerous s*hits wordss out from my mouth and lots of frustrations, I finally got the last bolt on, double-checked everything, and connected the negative wire to the battery. I went inside my Subie, insert the key into the ignition, took a deep breath, and turned the key. BR...BR...BR...BR...It started!

I let it ran for about thirty seconds, then I put it on D. The wheels began to spin. (It's still on jack support with the fuse on FWD.) I turned off the engine, put on the tires and went for a few minutes spin. Then I took it into the highway for roughly about 2 miles. Everything seemed to work flawlessly.

Then for final road test, I drove it for 60 miles (thirty miles each way) on the highway with cruise set on, went up hill and, down hill. It's very powerful even at just 135 horepower. Could have something to do with the new tranny?

Came home, opened the hood and rechecked everything. Nothing unusual, closed the hood, it is ACCOMPLISHED! MISSION COMPLETE! Feeling very satisfied and gratified in a way. After that, I felt like I just gave birth to a new born car! I love it to death now.

My thanks goes to Huckster and Pagan for their tips, recommendations, technical info and sometimes even step by step instructions. Guys, without you two, I may not have done it. Special thanks to Hucksters for helping me every step of the way.

Hope you guys enjoyed the ride as much as I did, even though we hit some rough spots many times on the way home. It was well worth it. Now, I know more about tranny than in the past.

Happy Subie-ing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#61 Guest_Huckster_*

Guest_Huckster_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2001 - 06:06 AM

Congrats!
Glad you got her going, there is nothing that feels better than completing something that you've never done before, huh?
It makes you appreciate the car so much more. :)
Hope she brings you plenty of miles of happy motoring.
You did fill up the tranny with fluid and the front diff with grease, didn't you?
Some people don't realize there are two different sections of our auto trannies. Just a thought.
Don't know if you ever installed an aftermarket cooler, but I would soon if you haven't, there will fit between the radiator and the A/C Radiator. Pretty cheap insurance!
Take care,

#62 Guest_ShawnW_*

Guest_ShawnW_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2001 - 02:08 PM

Im impressed, well done to all involved!

#63 Guest_jcniest5_*

Guest_jcniest5_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2001 - 09:39 PM

Yes, I filled up the tranny with ATF and differential with gear oil (assuming that's what you were refering to about grease.) I replaced the right CV boot with a new one so I reapplied grease there.

Second day went pretty good so far.

#64 Guest_Huckster_*

Guest_Huckster_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2001 - 04:46 AM

Sounds like you're god to go!! :)

#65 Guest_kennedydennis_*

Guest_kennedydennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2001 - 02:24 PM

Congratulations! I've been following this from the beginning and will go through the same process, if I can find a good cheap low mileage transmission.

#66 Guest_jcniest5_*

Guest_jcniest5_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2001 - 05:34 PM

Huckster, yeap, I think it's all a done deal. I drove it to work today and it was a charm. It is a pleasure to drive it.

Kennedydennis, let us know when you will start yours. We can all throw in something to make your job easier.

And good luck on yours.

#67 Guest_Frag_*

Guest_Frag_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2001 - 05:50 PM

Congratulations. What a suspense! Glad it worked out OK. You showed courage and perseverance.
Gilles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users