Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'96 Sub Legacy won't restart when parked on a tilt

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kayakerx

kayakerx

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Davis

Posted 28 October 2004 - 12:43 PM

I have an issue with my '96 Subaru Legacy wagon. When I park it on a side angle, it won't restart right away. If I leave it for 20 minutes or so, it usually restarts, although one time I got it to restart when I actually jacked up the low side and tricked the car into thinking it was sitting flat.

The car has had the same issue twice while flat, too. One time it was parked and wouldn't restart right away, the second time I was idling while waiting for a train to pass. It stalled and then a few minutes later restarted. But the majority of the occurences (about eight now) have occurred while on a tilt. This problem is not a long-standing problem; it started about a week ago.

My mechanic found an error through the computer--code PO340, cam position sensor. The sensor part isn't sold separate from the octopus wiring harness, so on his next junkyard run he is going to pick one up. We can get the car to stall/start simpling by moving the wires in a certain way.

However, the main problem sounds more like a fuel pressure issue to me, based on the car's problems that occur mostly when it's on a tilt. I think the mechanic just found a secondary problem that had been lurking, and was discovered because this issue occurred. I'm thinking it's the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator. Any thoughts?

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,604 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 28 October 2004 - 02:33 PM

When it fails to start, does the engine turn over, or does it do nothing?

#3 kayakerx

kayakerx

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Davis

Posted 28 October 2004 - 03:13 PM

Good question. It cranks fine, just never engages.

#4 kayakerx

kayakerx

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Davis

Posted 01 November 2004 - 02:46 PM

bump.

#5 Adnan

Adnan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Fremont

Posted 01 November 2004 - 02:55 PM

Hi,

Is it side sensitive, that is, does it show the problem only when tilted one way?

Adnan

#6 kayakerx

kayakerx

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Davis

Posted 01 November 2004 - 03:28 PM

Nope...both ways have caused the problem.

#7 Adnan

Adnan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Fremont

Posted 01 November 2004 - 07:20 PM

We can get the car to stall/start simpling by moving the wires in a certain way.

Hi,

It sure sounds like the problem is indeed with the cam sensor or wiring. You have found that moving the wires replicates the problem. Tilting the car causes the wires to move and opens up the connection.

Since the car fails to start immediately after tilting, it is unlikely to be a fuel pressure issue. Pressure regulators and check valves are not affected by angle, at least not that rapidly, as in this case.

Check your harness with a fine-tooth comb. Look for chafing, kinking or odd bulges that may indicate breakage. Your cam sensor probably uses a coax cable running back to the ECU and can develop a break in the inner conductor.

Good luck with the trouble-shooting,
Adnan

#8 richierich

richierich

• 3,760 posts
  • Portland

Posted 02 November 2004 - 12:16 PM

Cam & Crank Position sensor should come as a set from the dealership for about $63.00

Have you checked to see if you are getting fuel when it is tilted?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users