Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Front Parking Brake onto Legacy Hub?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Herbie

Herbie

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • San Diego, CA

Posted 28 October 2004 - 06:41 PM

Hello all, trying to research some parts swapping possibilities. From other topics regarding 5-lug swaps, etc. I think I've got it nailed down, but I need someone with a little more experience to check my work!

Assume, for whatever reason (I'll explain later), that I wanted to put a parking brake on the front of a 1st-gen Legacy.

Could I retrofit the EA82 era parking brake assembly onto the Legacy upright? Or would I need to swap to an XT6 hub to be able to fit these parts? (Need to keep the 5-lug arrangement).

Is the XT6 the only source for a Legacy-suspension-compatible arrangement that will support a front parking brake? Other cars I can also take from?

Thanks!

==================================================
OK, that's the question, here's the Background, if you care:

Trying to figure out if its practical to build a "Locost" style Seven, except with a Subaru lump mounted mid-engined in the rear.

My primary choice, based on power, availability, cost, etc. would be a 2.2L engine from a Legacy, with either a Legacy tranny converted to FWD (weld the center diff) or by fitting a FWD Impreza tranny (which I believe uses the same spline-count halfshafts)

One of the hangups for moving a front suspension system to the back is needing a parking brake somewhere. If I can figure out how to parts-swap to get a pre-Legacy front parking brake onto a Legacy hub (or at least at the end of Legacy axles), then that solves that problem.

There are lots of other issues, of course, like shift linkage, and "non-steering" tie rods, but these aren't very much different from the things OEM's do when they move FWD transverse systems rearward (MR2, Fiero, etc.)

The track width looks pretty much correct for a "Book + 4" chassis (meaning a 4" wider version of the chassis from Ron Champion's "Build Your Own Sportscar" book). I'd want a 4" wider chassis anyways (need the elbow room!).

The chassis mods would be fairly simple, I think. The original design put the "top plate" for the coilover spring for the 4-link live axle setup right about the same place you'd want to anchor the top of the struts if you were mounting a transaxle back there. The rear body work would have to change a bit, and obviously the passenger section gets moved forward some, but overall I think its doable.

I was also sweating the somewhat semi-unorthodox Subaru 5x100 bolt pattern (wanting to keep same wheels F/R) but I realized one of the common uprights for Locosters is the '84-'87 Fiero setup, which is already 5x100...

Still in the "What if" stage, since starting a project like this would mean selling one of my other cars to make room, etc., but the "What if" is definitely looking more plausible.

#2 CIS Subaru

CIS Subaru

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 1,992 posts
  • Columbus, OH

Posted 28 October 2004 - 09:42 PM

Great plan man!
I too have dreams of building myself a "Locost" some day, but alas they are just dreams right now. I figured I'd use an EA81 because I like them so much, but an EJ22 would certainly be a tempting alternative.

As for your brakes, I do believe that XT6 calipers are the only ones that will work the way you want. The only other way I see to use stuff that will bolt-up and fit properly without mods would be to use EA81 or EA82 hubs and brakes with EA82 turbo axles. The problem there is that you then have a 4x140 bolt pattern. On the other hand, the 4x140 pattern can be converted fairly easily to 6x140 (same as 6x5.5") which is a very common pattern for trucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users