Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Twe Warning! *tuning update*

WJM

The header and DP are EXTREAMLY strong construction.

DP has a bracket on it, intended to fasten its self to the transmission...it will NOT work on all transmissions...as it doesnt come close to mine.

the turbo flange on the header uses thru bolts. Cool.

IMPORTANT!!!! The turbo position is going to change! the stock header bracket is no longer needed. You WILL NEED a longer upper coolant hose and a longer oil return hose.

Using JUST the header will change the DP location....NOT advisable to use ONLY the header or DP on a system....UNLESS you are going custom anyways....

you will need to jack the engine up off the engine crossmember to install header.

PS lines are IN THE WAY. Moving them will be REQUIRED for header install.

My oil lines were in the way...had to move them....

pics to come. Its all installed.

oh and...it makes the engine pitch WAY different...almost like equal lenght headers, AND...midrange+ is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!

Turbo comes on full about 400 rpms later now. But then again...i do have different cams now...stock 89 turbo cams for automatic RX.

The install was long and hard...but after I got it done and routed a STRAIGHT PIPE 2.5 inch to the passenger side...jsut behind the rear door....OMG...sounds AWESOME!!!!!!!

In the end...its worht the $600 for both and the long hard install.

I don't see how PS lines would get in the way?

Don't you need some kind of bracket to support the header and turbo assembly?

So my stock downpipe will not fit? I was counting on reusing it to pass smog. Then I was going to pull it off with the turbo and install a VF11 w/ WRX downpipe. How is the turbo repositioned (ie: farther back and higher up)?

So will the WRX style downpipes fit?

Do you mean that the turbo comes on 400 rpm EARLIER? It should not come on later.

carfreak85: yeah it was alot...but I was rushed so I didnt take my time to see what was going on... :-\

Marck: The PS lines on the pass side where they shoot forward is where the header lays on them in stock position. I figured out why too....on a DRAG car no one needs PS at all...so they had all the room they coudl have needed for the header....my lines are ULTRA CLOSE to the header, but I've not had problems yet...

it SHOULD need a bracket, and I would HIGHLY recommend one to be made like the stock one to fit the new header...but at this time I have not done so.

The stock DP will fit, but it will change where it sits...i have not tried this personally tho....looks like the WRX ones will fit BETTER with the header.

YES the header moves the turbo....UP and BACK. Just right so you can get to things more easily and install a later series VFxx/TD0x turbo too I might add.

SO FAR...in the FEW FEW runs I have one the car...YES the turbo does come to full boost later, around 2800-2900 as compared to before with 2400-2500.

Reasons: THe stock header was desined for max TQ of the engine at 2800...therefor it was able to spool the turbo by having the exhaust velocity maxed out in the low range...but severely limiting power up high...

The TWE header takes more time to build up the velocity due to larger pipes...but midrage and up is MUCH MUCH 1000000x better.

Again, I will test more.

on another note...Ive got WRX TMIC and a LARGE throttle body on the spyder intake...i noticed on other cams and stock exh set up that it spooled later as well...could be due to it trying to fill the larger volume of the intake system....again, I will run more tests and see....

The install was long and hard...

This is what I did not want to read. This is supposed to be a 'bolt on' affair. I'm looking forward to reading up on more people's experience. I'm not mechanic and I planned on installing a header/downpipe combo myself. Will see how that goes.

It's nice to read that it's so much better. Would you say it's 'keeping pace with a stock WRX' type of nice or just nicer than stock? Again, you are only running 7psi right?

"it SHOULD need a bracket, and I would HIGHLY recommend one to be made like the stock one to fit the new header...but at this time I have not done so."

ya... otherwise you'll be makin a thread about helicoiling the exhaust studs in your head, cuz you'll rip em out.

That is what I was worried about too. TWE should have included this bracket with the headers. I think I will also look into extreme hypercoating the headers and turbo as well to keep the heat from radiating out.

This is what I did not want to read. This is supposed to be a 'bolt on' affair. I'm looking forward to reading up on more people's experience.

I know what you mean. I thought it was going to keep evenrything in the same place and let the turbo spool EARLIER!!! I'm still excited to get mine, but its not all I was hoping for.

I know what you mean. I thought it was going to keep evenrything in the same place and let the turbo spool EARLIER!!! I'm still excited to get mine, but its not all I was hoping for.

Larger/longer header will not make the turbo spool earlier. Initial exhaust gas velocity will be slowed due to the greater volume available to it.

$750 [cdn] and i have to look into a bracket either before install or take things off and have one made after a while, not really an option for me cause i drive dirt roads all the time? So this setup is for their grass roots racer car? why no bracket? I have to move or heat shield the ps lines? WTF this is beginning to sound like a lot of hassle to install a pricy bit of stainless.

I'm still stoked on the pipes but these issues shouldn't exist on an expensive 'bolt on' that's the justification for the big dollars these cost compared to the ime and welding involved doin' it yourself[Or having your sister do it]. My sisters a welder by trade and it's going to suck justifying the money I spent.lol

I mean no harm it's just that i bought two of these and that's 1500$cdn and now the prospect of BS has me all choked up. I don't like bolt on's that have to be modded. Time to call Jack. :mad:

After fixing all the leaks in my hastily thrown together IC plumbing and vac leaks on the intake manifold...and tuning in the timing....here are my almost final conclusions on the TWE combo....

Turbo spools and it as full boost between 2400-2700. Very fast respool as well. Mid range and high range is vastly improved. The only two items that could make the high end better is Delta cams (had no problems getting to 7k with the 260 cams) and/or a larger turbo.

Low range is better as well...the engine doesnt mind lugging around town between 1600-2400 at all. There is a suprising amount of power there as compared to before.

Also note that I have cams from an 89 RX turbo with an atuomatic trans.

I have not ventured to run higher boost levels as of yet...I am still playing in the stock range until I have the timing optimal.

So far, the only issues on install is:

PS lines need to be moved or re routed (of moved, they dont need to be moved too far, just a little bit)

Turbo coolant return line needs to be replaced with a longer line.

Turbo oil return line needs to be replaced with a longer line.

Slight adjustment to IC or stock intake plumbing required (not a big deal really)

Exhaust note is considerbly different as well as MUCH louder (for non muffler'ed apps)

Thats all for now!

So roughly how different is the position of the turbo. My IC is fed right off the turbo, maybe 2.5" from the exit on the turbo into the IC straight in, just a coupler. I have another hood but installing the scoop again will be a drag. So i can probly work with a change in hieght but front to back? How's that stainless look now after a few hot runs? :brow: