Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Offroad tires for the subaru. small write up, suby 4x4 tires

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#26 Dante

Dante

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 26 November 2003 - 06:29 PM

This is a great thread.

I inherited Mudrat79's siped Wildcat EXTs which probably have a year left in them, but I'm trying to figure out what to replace them with. Right now, I think I might just spring for the Super Swamper SSRs. I'll probably only buy one set of tires for this car. The Coopers, Buckshots and other tires are also interesting...

General Disorder--When you get some miles on your Hankooks, please post something here.

#27 ezapar

ezapar

[OWB]

• 27,109 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 26 November 2003 - 06:41 PM

The write-up I did in the second post is all from personal experience with each tire. I've sported them all on one or more vehicles, have plenty of time offroad with them.

#28 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 26 November 2003 - 06:58 PM

So far the Hankooks seem fine. Not many miles on them Yet tho. Very similar to the Coopers I would say.

So far the one impression that I *have* got from them is that they are VERY quiet. For an aggressive tire I expected more noise. But in fact I noticed NO increase in noise over the 175/70r13's I had on the car before. Either the tires are just really well behaved on pavement, or they are very soft or something.

I probably have 1000 miles on them now. So far I'm happy with my purchase. The Swampers would be my first choice - because of the width they have.... with our lift you would defintately have to keep the chevy rims with SSR's. The tread width is nearly 8" (if you go with a 215/75r15). Without the negative offset, the tires would hit the strut coils. I think your wildcats are like 225's aren't they?

I was also toying with the idea of using some rancho shocks like SubaruBrat has done instead of the EA82 coil overs. Would make the suspension less stiff, and also give more clearance for tires.

GD

#29 ezapar

ezapar

[OWB]

• 27,109 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 26 November 2003 - 08:45 PM

The Swampers would be my first choice - because of the width they have.... with our lift you would defintately have to keep the chevy rims with SSR's. The tread width is nearly 8" (if you go with a 215/75r15). Without the negative offset, the tires would hit the strut coils.

Mis information.

The 10.50 fits nicely onto the pug wheels, with either the 14 or 15 inch application.

They will not rub on your strut coils.

Assuming your car has coil-overs cuz it has the Mudrat lift.
The PK lift keeps the stock shocks in the rear, same deal with no rubbing.

#30 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 26 November 2003 - 08:57 PM

Hmmm - I measure 1.5" of clearance left with my current tires between the sidewall and the strut coil. And my tires are 6.5" wide *at the tread*, which makes them about 7.5" wide at the sidewall. I have a good 3" of negative offset with the chevy rims....

Well - pretty sure you could do it with the chevy's - the pugs or regular offset toyota's..... maybe. I would have to experiment.

GD

#31 junkyardgabe

junkyardgabe

WRX Goal Accomplished!

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Lisbon Falls

Posted 26 November 2003 - 09:57 PM

the 235/75/15 are 28.5 inches tall and 8.5 inches wide this what i'm going to run on my brat once my lift shows up .but if any one is looking for tall tire that will clear everything on uncut fenders is 165/R15 and 15" donut rims their strong enough to take a beating and it gives you a fair amount height

#32 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 27 November 2003 - 01:19 AM

Actually, they don't take that much of a beating. One of our old members used the donuts and bent alot of them.

#33 Rooinater

Rooinater

Official Thread Killer...

• Members
  • 2,285 posts
  • Gig Harbor

Posted 27 November 2003 - 01:57 AM

As for suby rims and four 4wheeling, these are my opinions on rims. just my advice. but if you've wheeled with me you know i push my car, if it don't break under my hand then it's a worthy modification.

Pug alloy rims.
for the street they are great. look good, lighten the weight a little. now as for four wheeling them. i strongly reccomend to avoid any hard trails where the rim can come into contact with rocks or roots. these rims are a lot more fragile than the steels. on lake isabele trail i split a six inch strip off the bead of the rim. they lost all respect for 4x4ing from me. if you don't follow me and you stay on the easy to moderate side of life these are worthy rims.

Pug steel rims.
they are a little heavier. but for 4wheeling they are much more durable than the alloys. i reccomend these for any of the harder trails. do to the fact that when you wedge or bounce a rim into a rock. you can usually bend the rim enough to get off the trail and to camp. been there done that.

same with chevy and yota rims. but there allloys tend to be a little stronger and better material. also the more rubber you have between the rim and the ground also helps to prevent damage. ie taller tires. but with out regearing don't go to tall.

#34 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 27 November 2003 - 02:38 AM

well it sounds like I am the only one running bridgestone duelar A/T on14" pugs?

they fit well on my car with some fender clearancing and the stiffer rear springs installed.
really quiet on road but a good bit of grip in the dirt.
soon to be tested in the snow :headbang:
not to expensive or complicated to install.

#35 Dante

Dante

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 27 November 2003 - 07:57 PM

I'll probably end up running Chevy or Toyota rims with SSRs (based on EZ's and others' experience).

In the short run, I will probably stick with the drilled chevy rims that came with the car. Later, I'll either go to larger lugs or do the 6-lug hub conversion (for piece of mind).

#36 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 27 November 2003 - 11:22 PM

Well - I have experienced a dramatic DECREASE in MPG with the big tires. Maybe that's just me.

Before - 320 Miles to a tank.
After - 240 Miles to a tank. (near as I can figure based on the speedo being 19.2% off.)

GD

#37 ezapar

ezapar

[OWB]

• 27,109 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 28 November 2003 - 01:15 PM

Bob got 25mpg with 28 inch swampers and a weber.
My hatch I have now gets 23 or so with the 26's and weber.

#38 vansubaru

vansubaru

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Vancouver B.C

Posted 28 November 2003 - 07:24 PM

I am running 185/75/r14 steel pugs on my XT4 from Dunlop there maxx trax grip excellent in the snow.

Attached Files

#39 Dante

Dante

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 04 December 2003 - 06:18 PM

Since I don't have a spare I'm thinking about buying tires sooner rather than later, but I have a couple more questions...

I have LT215/75R-15 Wildcat EXTs and stock gearing on the lifted '83 wagon I bought from Mudrat79 and it seems OK to me. I don't recall the height or section width of the Wildcats, but I think they are about 27 1/2" high and 8" or 9" wide. They only rub in front and only if I turn the stearing wheel almost all the way to the lock in reverse...

I'm thinking about replacing the Wildcats with Super Swampers, which are about the same height, but a little wider.

Would there be any benefit (aside from $avings) in using the 14" Kumhos or Cooper STTs instead? Those tires are both about 26" tall and 8 1/2" wide. On page one of this thread a couple people say they prefer shorter tires (25"-26") because they are "faster" (which I take to mean more responsive).

Are there any comparable 15" tires in the 25" to 26" range?

I'll probably just get the SSRs, but wanted to sort this out first.

#40 junkyardgabe

junkyardgabe

WRX Goal Accomplished!

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Lisbon Falls

Posted 04 December 2003 - 10:23 PM

yup thats what they measure up to mounted & inflated they are 28.5"tall bfg all terrains

#41 Mike W

Mike W

• Members
  • 704 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 04 December 2003 - 11:02 PM

I've been using the Kuhmos for a while now and there's only a couple times that I've really wished for Swampers instead. The Kuhmos clean themselves ok (given enough throttle) but in sticky slimey clay mud, Swampers simply rule.
So the Kuhmos aren't awesome in the mud but they do a pretty good job at everything else, last a long time and are fairly quiet on the road. In my judgement they've got to be one of the best "enduro" or do everything tires.

#42 MaroonDuneDoom

MaroonDuneDoom

Stick It To The Man!!!

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • Casper,Wy

Posted 04 December 2003 - 11:33 PM

any of you fellers got some suggestions for a tire that is cheap and lasts long? need lots of life so i can justify spending more in mods than on the car itself.

#43 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 05 December 2003 - 09:44 AM

Originally posted by MaroonDuneDoom
any of you fellers got some suggestions for a tire that is cheap and lasts long? need lots of life so i can justify spending more in mods than on the car itself.

Check out Fleet Farm and Wal-Mart. They have good deals on A/T tires that fit your needs. You can even browse Wal-Mart tires online.

http://www.walmart.c...ect_query=tires

I almost bought some A/Ts they have for like $45/ea that had an OK tread pattern, rated well for wearing and a warrenty. Then I found out my old crappy 30"x10.5" baja radials fit so I strapped them on :D

Good luck!

#44 AKIRA

AKIRA

USMB Reverend

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • Jersey Shore (Central) PA

Posted 05 December 2003 - 11:15 AM

has anybody tried cooper weathermaster st2 tires?
I want to get them, look really good.

#45 richierich

richierich

• 3,760 posts
  • Portland

Posted 06 December 2003 - 09:33 PM

If I go with the #2 Cooper Discoverer SST radials. 205/75/14 (25.5)

Am I going to be sorry when get better at 4wheeling?

Is this what you are currently running EZap?

I am looking for something with minimal cutting and some on road driving (probably up to the seattle area)

If my car is mechanically stock, (with lift) am I going to be going really slow with like 28?

#46 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 06 December 2003 - 10:03 PM

You seen my wagon ritchie - it AINT slow. Does 80 - 85 easy in 4th gear ('82 4 speed).

Only drive train mods I'm running is the '82 D/R, a Weber, and straight pipe exhaust.

The Coopers are nice - you might look into what I have as well - or the Wildcat EXT's. Both the EXT's and my Hankooks have a deeper tread than the Coopers. I don't think you can go terribly wrong with any of these.

Mine seem to dig holes wherever I go - lots of traction for sure, and clean themselves very well. I would imagine Zap would say the same about his.....

And yes - Zap is currently running the Coopers - saw em at the tree run.

GD

#47 richierich

richierich

• 3,760 posts
  • Portland

Posted 07 December 2003 - 02:58 PM

Only drive train mods I'm running is the '82 D/R, a Weber, and straight pipe exhaust.

That sounds like drive train mods to me that add HP, thus not stock. You would not have done them if you thought they wouldn't help? The straight pipe and the Weber both would not pass DEQ, which is my deliemna.

Running a ea81, with 28's, stock carb and exhaust, it would be a dog right? Anyone?

What about with the 25.5, still a dog?

I do not mind spending the money on the best tires, I can afford but do not want to be dissatisfied that I did not go big enough and thus have to buy bigger tires down the road.

#48 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 07 December 2003 - 03:03 PM

The 3" lift with 26's will be fine for you Rich. As your off-road abilities improve the tires will continue to work for you. They will help stay in the power range. As far as carbs go, you can always run two dfferent manifolds one for fun and one for DEQ.

#49 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,754 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 11 December 2003 - 10:13 PM

so what would the general concensus in tire size from the hatchptrol? 26" 27"? what about widths? might look at the Cooper SSTs.

#50 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 11 December 2003 - 10:57 PM

Ritchie - why won't a Weber pass DEQ? They have never checked under my hood on any car I've brought in..... and if that's a problem, get a PO box just outside the bounderies, and register your car there.

I'm in the zone too - and if mine don't pass, I'm going to register it in Hubbard or something. My tags are good thru Jan 05 tho, so I don't have to worry for now.

Also - I do not think it would be a dog with a hitachi - just lacking the low end torque. You may not be able to smoke em like I can, but your high end wouldn't suffer at all really. You will want either the '82 4 speed, or a 5 speed D/R in it tho, for best highway performance with big tires - nothing DEQ can do about that. As for off-road, 1st and 2nd gear are the same on all the 4 speeds, so your off-road will be basically the same. 1st gear on the 5 speed does offer a bit lower gearing I think tho.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users