Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP - 93 Legacy - Front End Noise

I just bought the 93 Legacy (non-turbo) with 100k miles on it and in a very good shape for a very good price. The only poblem I have is a noise coming from the front under the car. It happens when accelerating and up-hill. Had the axles, cv joints and boots and wheel barings checked at a local mechanic and he told me that everything looks fine. I'm not sure he checked it as good as he should, because the clicking sounds like it's coming from (maybe) the midle of the front-end of the car and happens only when steping hard on the gas pedal from stopped and I don't think it's effected from turning left or right.

?????????

Any sugestions?

I just bought the 93 Legacy (non-turbo) with 100k miles on it and in a very good shape for a very good price. The only poblem I have is a noise coming from the front under the car. It happens when accelerating and up-hill. Had the axles, cv joints and boots and wheel barings checked at a local mechanic and he told me that everything looks fine. I'm not sure he checked it as good as he should, because the clicking sounds like it's coming from (maybe) the midle of the front-end of the car and happens only when steping hard on the gas pedal from stopped and I don't think it's effected from turning left or right.

?????????

Any sugestions?

Just figured out a similar noise on my 1997 Legacy L sedan. The noise was a hollow sounding thunk/clunk coming from what seemed to be the center of the car. It was sporadic and almost impossible to duplicate. I had the car up on ramps and jack stands several times and couldn't find anything. Persistence paid off finally when I noticed the right hand boot on the steering rack was torn and the ball and socket joint on the inner tie rod end had deteriorated. It was that joint that was the cause of the noise. I spend several hours working grease into the joint to free it up, then replaced the boot. The noise is now gone.

Just a thought but worth looking into

• 2 weeks later...

The noise happens every time I start from the complete stop. Stronger and more consistent when going up hill. It's like: dum-dum-dum-dum. I checked myself and also went to the MIDAS that is next to my work. They didn't find anything also on the CV joints or boots, but they are suggesting I should go to a transmissions shop. (It's an auto ).

What could it be?????

BUMP!!!

To be more specific, the noice is like if the lug nuts were loose.

Any suggestion?????

A stick, a rock or an accumulation of gravel might have got between the cat or front exhaust and the heat shield. That can make a tremendous amount of difficult-to-trace noise, of various kinds - buzzes, bangs, thumps and duh-duh-duh noises (resonances). Since the engine tends to move a bit on its mounts when it is developing power you can have an interference under acceleration that is not there when the car is idling or shut off. I found it easiest to just remove all that shielding, clean out the accumulations of stuff - in my case it is half-inch rocks from my dirt road - carefully replace all the shielding and tighten nothing completely until it is all back in place. You have to tighten this stuff carefully because it all shifts around a bit. I found the work frustrating but I got rid of a hideous buzz (people on the side of the road would point and stare) by doing this.

HTH

Greg

'93 Legacy L AWD 5MT, 208k mi