Ultimate Subaru Message Board

first thread first subaru need advice on replacing cv axle and rotors

Hi first time posting, just like to say "hi" to everyone. I recently bought a 92 Legacy and I need some advice on replacing the front rotors and the front driverside axle. Never worked on a Subaru so no detail is to small. Thanks hopefully someone can help me.

PS already love my Subaru!

Your best bet is to:

1. Visit the USRM on this site

and then

2. Go buy a reliable manual to walk you through the process.

Neither operation is too technically difficult, but to give detailed information is time-consumptive and probably redundant - visit the USRM first. It has a ton of good info. Good luck.

If you work on your own Subaru, you will find a lot to love about that car. My BIL said that when he pulled the front wheels on his Brat, he had all kinds of problems, but I had none at all on my 92 Legacy Wagon (AWD). I went out and bought a Haynes manual for it ( I do this for every vehicle I plan on working on regularly) and the manual you need is number 89100 which covers all 1990 to 1998 Subaru Legacy models. OK, I lied a bit. Finding a puller to push out the ball joints from the lower control arm was a pain, and I ended up using a picke fork to seperate that connection (It came off real easy that way). this was not a real problem for me, as I was replacing the ball joints at the same time as the clutch (which was the reason I was pulling the drive axels in the first place) so the damage to the ball joint boot was irrevelant. My preference is to use a puller to avoid such damage. The ones I was able to find would not fit. . .

thanks for your advice, I will go looking. thanks again

Your best bet is to:

1. Visit the USRM on this site

and then

2. Go buy a reliable manual to walk you through the process.

Neither operation is too technically difficult, but to give detailed information is time-consumptive and probably redundant - visit the USRM first. It has a ton of good info. Good luck.

I will try and find a manual and then all I will need is a little luck and maybe a beer. thanks for your time I appreciate it. Beezer

If you work on your own Subaru, you will find a lot to love about that car. My BIL said that when he pulled the front wheels on his Brat, he had all kinds of problems, but I had none at all on my 92 Legacy Wagon (AWD). I went out and bought a Haynes manual for it ( I do this for every vehicle I plan on working on regularly) and the manual you need is number 89100 which covers all 1990 to 1998 Subaru Legacy models. OK, I lied a bit. Finding a puller to push out the ball joints from the lower control arm was a pain, and I ended up using a picke fork to seperate that connection (It came off real easy that way). this was not a real problem for me, as I was replacing the ball joints at the same time as the clutch (which was the reason I was pulling the drive axels in the first place) so the damage to the ball joint boot was irrevelant. My preference is to use a puller to avoid such damage. The ones I was able to find would not fit. . .