Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've read the threads about clutches going out really early on Subarus. Well, add me to that list. I have a 2001 Outback Wagon with 47,000 miles on it and I was told by the dealer today that I need a new clutch! My friend with a WRX fell off his chair laughing when I told him that because he beats on his 2002 WRX with 54,000 miles and I've babied my car and I'm the one who needs a new clutch.

The dealership told me that it is "uncommon" for an Outback to need a new clutch with so few miles. They quoted me a price of $1100 ($500 for parts, $600 for labor) to replace the clutch. When I asked why it isn't covered under warranty (5yr/60k), they said it might be, but they wouldn't know until they have taken it apart to see if it is a mechanical issue or "normal wear and tear."

What incentive would the dealership have to say that it was a mechanical issue? If the car is in the air and the parts are out, I have no choice but to agree with whatever they say, right?

Any advice on how to handle this? Do I:

1) Roll over and let them charge me $1100.

2) Buy parts elsewhere and have the dealership install the parts (saves over $200)

3) Have a trusted, local mechanic take care of it. (Saves even more)

4) Fight with Subaru to perform warranty work no matter what.

5) Something else.

If #4, what do I say?

I've read the threads about clutches going out really early on Subarus. Well, add me to that list. I have a 2001 Outback Wagon with 47,000 miles on it and I was told by the dealer today that I need a new clutch! My friend with a WRX fell off his chair laughing when I told him that because he beats on his 2002 WRX with 54,000 miles and I've babied my car and I'm the one who needs a new clutch.

The dealership told me that it is "uncommon" for an Outback to need a new clutch with so few miles. They quoted me a price of $1100 ($500 for parts, $600 for labor) to replace the clutch. When I asked why it isn't covered under warranty (5yr/60k), they said it might be, but they wouldn't know until they have taken it apart to see if it is a mechanical issue or "normal wear and tear."

What incentive would the dealership have to say that it was a mechanical issue? If the car is in the air and the parts are out, I have no choice but to agree with whatever they say, right?

Any advice on how to handle this? Do I:

1) Roll over and let them charge me $1100.

2) Buy parts elsewhere and have the dealership install the parts (saves over $200)

3) Have a trusted, local mechanic take care of it. (Saves even more)

4) Fight with Subaru to perform warranty work no matter what.

5) Something else.

If #4, what do I say?

#3 you will have a very hard time proving that is not your driving style.

i toasted a clutch in 2k miles!!! <---seriously!

it's easy to do - aggressive driving, too much clutch slippage, too much riding the clutch

and it's easy to SEE as a mechanic, once you've removed the clutch from the car

mileage on things like clutch/brakes means very little.

it really varies by driving style

wish you the best of luck!

Jamie

I've got the "Cold Clutch Judder," too. The dealership needs to be able to recreate it though. With it starting to get cold here, I'm hoping that they'll be able to do so.

If they're able to duplicate the (in)famous cold clutch problem, should I ask for a discount on the parts and/or labor for replacing the clutch? My reasoning is that if they already are supposed to replace some parts under warranty work, then I shouldn't be charged for the parts and labor that would be normally charged to rectify the warranty issue.

Has anybody tried something like this before?

I'll give another example. If I were going in to have brake work done and complained about the cold clutch issue, I would pay for the work being done on the brakes, but not for the warranty work for the clutch. At least that's the way I see it.