Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just got a new/old 1995 Impreza wagon with 95k on it. Wondering what is the best maintenance/repair book to get. What kinds of problems, concerns I can expect. What kinds of improvements etc. Any advice and info would be much apreciated. i do all my own work when possible and don't want to spend too much time researching when a problem occurs.

Bob

service manual: http://techinfo.subaru.com

The older prezzy is a solid car.

You will need timing belt, oil pump reseal, water pump and rear cam seals likely... if they have not been done...

but typically, replace those and the car will run like new. :)

how many miles?

any idea if the timing belt has been done?

is it leaking oil at this time? (a lot of the older ones do)

Jamie

Thanks for the info.

97,000 miles, fairly decent shape, got it from a dealer for $2,000, right around dealer list. Had to replace the muffler to pass NH inspection.

Yes, it does leak. Haven't got into it to see where yet.

2nd to 3rd shift is an adventure, since the bushing is gone and the lever rocks all over. Easy fux, but it still works so I will probably wait 'til I have more time.

Seals and belts I don't think have been done. I will get to them when there is time.

I put 6-7k max miles on per year, only during the winter months, and 40-45k miles on motorcycles. I am not too concerned about the mechanics of the car since I doubt it will last much more than 4 years before it rusts through. Sitting for 7 months of the year does not do a vehicle much good. All kinds of things end up having to be replaced due to sitting. Brake rotors, connnectors, seals, exhausts etc, not to mention generic cancer.

So far I like this car (I've put a wopping 50 miles on it) and from reading this list I think it is a fitting car for me. There is a big fan following of Subarus, which usually means that there are quirks but they are fixable. Vehicles that act like appliances don't ussually draw much of a following.

Bob

service manual: http://techinfo.subaru.com

The older prezzy is a solid car.

You will need timing belt, oil pump reseal, water pump and rear cam seals likely... if they have not been done...

but typically, replace those and the car will run like new. :)

how many miles?

any idea if the timing belt has been done?

is it leaking oil at this time? (a lot of the older ones do)

Jamie