Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can we archive this? 9.5:1 Turbo test

Guest wjmgl10

Guest wjmgl10

...the testing of the 9.5:1 pistons in the EA82-T setup! I finally got insurance back on her!

Take note, All I did was replace the EA82-T MPFI/TURBO short block with one out of a carbed suby. So, EVERYTHING to my knowledge is stock inside that shortblock. It also had somewhere between 60k and 80k miles on it.

I am taking it easy for the first 1000 miles, one is because the syncronizers in the tranny has not been used in 8 years, its kinda rough shifting, but they are mostly freed up after today. Two, the turbo its self is sreaming. I dunno if the bearing is going, or if there is excess carbon build up in the housing. But the turbo doesnt scream when the engine is still cold...hmmm..

So, so far I have put about 120 miles on this set up, officially. Unofficial, add about 100 miles.

Other mods: Bottom-less intake box, and no intake muffler.

Stock exhaust back to the muffler, i hacked the muffler off, and there is a stright tip.

I opened up the airflow meter a week ago, and found a way to experiment with different spring tensions to make it run richer/leaner (I think)

It used to have an Automatic, 3spd, but now its a 5spd from an XT Turbo, so I've got the "4wd," the bigger clutch. And now after that conversion, the Cruise Control isnt working...hmmmm...

Im running 20w-50, and MMO right now. Im thinking of switching to synthetic. I also run the 1361 NAPA Gold filter. No oil cooler kit yet.

I'll keep everyone updated from time to time.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch the synthetic, some of the gang have some real horror stories about using synthetic oil and loosing oil pressure and really noisy lifters. Going back to regular oil didn't seem to help and I even heard talk of a engine replacement. Maybe someone with first hand experience can fill you in.

Guest Hondasucks

Try some thinner oil, like 10W-30, make sure it's Turbo approved oil though! (Don't use 10W40, high polymer content leads to carbon and sludge buildup.) 20W-50 is about as bad on sludge buildup, and also might be a bit thick for a turbo application.

Guest Bill Putney

"20W-50 is about as bad on sludge buildup, and also might be a bit thick for a turbo application." MMO should take care of the sludge issue and will thin it down about right too. I agree about not using 10W-40.

how much HP does takeing out the air filter bottom give you and what kind of boost you runnin with that?

(bill)what kind of oil do you recommend turbo or n/a I'm wondering because I am using 10w-40 and I don't like it (ea-81 by the way)

Guest wjmgl10

Ok, 405 miles now.

Just switched over to Mobil 1 10w-30 Fully Synthetic. I put 5-10 miles on it, no probs since then. Cruising test tomorrow.

Ive been w/out power since wed. night due to an ice storm. So, I wont be around till power is restored. Im on generated power right now.

To date, the fuel stuff: 93 octane, 26.7 MPG, and that is a average city/street, so called "country" rating.

No problems other that...other than...nothing! Been taking it easy on the tranny though, the syncros seem to be free'in up some more.

Well, time to go. C-ya'll again when I get the power restored around here.

Guest wjmgl10

70 Miles of interstate travel. Thank the SUBARU God for internet at my grandmothers house!

Average speed, 72 MPH, about 3200 RPM. No oil leaks, no problems, no abnormal noises...other than the turbo screaming as usual when it comes up to boost...

70-100 more miles to go for today. Only used less than 1/2 tanks of gas and ive put 185 miles on this tank. Hopefully, I will be able to report on gas milage later today, if i can get some more generated power...or if the power has been restored....

Guest Bill Putney

"what kind of oil do you recommend turbo or n/a I'm wondering because I am using 10w-40 and I don't like it"

Well, IMO your acceptable choices (in non-synth) are:

1. 20W-50 (too thick for winter)

2. 10W-30

3. 20W-50 with 1/8 to 1/4 qt. of MMO (my preference)

4. If you like the idea of 15W-40 (without the excessive degrading additives of a 10W-40), you could mix half-and-half 10W-30 and 20W-50 - and in the winter, if really cold, you might want to thin that a tad with MMO.

Guest SubaruJunkie

Have you done anything to decrease or increase boost on the engine? What is the stock compression. I would be careful... it would suck to be heading down the interstate one day and have the piston come shooting out of the block.

But anyhow... it sounds like a real fun car. Is this a wagon we're talking about? 2WD or 4WD??

-Brian-

Guest wjmgl10

the car in the sig.

stock comp. is 7.7:1 its at 9.5:1 currently. I just put the N/A pistons in it.

stock boost at 8 psi.

It is kinda fun, except for the turbo screaming.

The compression is really too high, when boost gets up to 5, you can feel the power drop off dramaticly, and hear some knock. I think, that I will make it N/A until I can get a good turbo, or fix the screaming. Otherwise, im taking it really easy until i get somethings figured out.

Tranny is acting up on the second gear syncro.

Oh and, a little over 520 miles now. again, 26.73 mpg. about 150 miles of highway driving today. No problems. 93 octane fuel now and forever as long as its turbo'ed.

Oh and one more thing, I fixed the cruise control.

Guest Daves240

I don't mean to hijack your post, but I did the same thing to my XT. I replaced the turbo OE pistons (7.7:1) w/ some N/A flat top pistons. I also put a Legacy rhb52 turbo on it. Right now I have about 25 miles on it. I have been having electrical problems with it, so I haven't been able to drive it until recently. The fuel pump wasn't getting any juice so I mounted a switch to turn it on from the battery. Runs fine, although in 1st gear I think the ECU gets confused @ WOT when the boost comes on, it kinda hesitates for a second. Next step is bigger injectors, fuel pump, and I/C.

On a side note, I have seen other cars (240sx's in particular) add turbos to N/A motors w/ N/A compression 9.5:1 with good results. The key to them not blowing up is more fuel. The ones that have problems turn up the boost and run stock injectors w/ stock fuel pumps.

David J.

'86 XT Turbo

'89 240sx

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Average speed, 72 MPH, about 3200 RPM That rpm seems pretty high. Big tires? Does that mean the turbo was on the whole time? Are all the 5 speeds normally like that? My 4AT seems to coast along pretty leisurely at that speed.

Hey Sonic,

The 4EAT runs about 80 MPH at 3000 RPM. Most of the 5 speeds and 3AT run around 60 MPH at 3000 RPM, depending on gearing. Gotta love that 4th gear!:)

Turbos run a close ratio box which means they bite on the highway even with the 3.70's. Then again at 80 its sitting right in the heart of the powerband so a quick stab of the throttle makes for nice power. :cool:

Guest wjmgl10

all old and 87 gas is cycled out. nothing but 93 in the system.

timing has been reset to 24-26 deg. Lots more power now.

2600 RPM at 60 guys.

more later.

Guest wjmgl10

Ok, I think I have my power band issue fixed. All of the old and 87 octane fuel has been burned/cycled out of the system. Im running 93 now, and that's pure within the system. Movied the timing back to 24-26 deg, and now, there is none of this no power crap above 4600. Full power all the way thru. No detonation at low end either. Idle is at 1000 now.

Witte: No intercooler. 93 Octane gas.

All: It runs at 2600 RPM at 60 MPH, or 2700 RPM at 100 KPH.

Daves240: I think that your air flow meter may be slightly malfunctioning. I opened mine up and adjusted the spring tenstion, and I've got excellent response. Versus the origional one, the "mod'ed" one works much better than the stock one. Ask Skip for the pics, I think he still has the ones I sent him via email a few days ago. So im running it richer than usual, and I have a stock turbo. No problems so far.

600+ miles on her now.

Guest wjmgl10

Whelp, First problem to deal with.

The turbo is dead. Well, still living, but painfully. The bearing is shot, and its just rattling around in there, and making loud noises at any kinds of air flow past 2500 rpm.

Time for a new turbo...anyone?

Ya, I have most of one laying around somewhere. Only missing some of the hardware that keeps the housings on the center section.

However I think its in NM where it won't be found until I go back there to look for it.

Also reset the computer, and set the base timing to 20 degrees while the "test" connectors are connected under the dash.

Guest Hondasucks

I know a guy who has a Subaru Turbo, I don't know if he still has it or not, its just the Turbo, and it's the water-cooled one, but I remember looking at it and it spun just fine by hand -- didn't make any weird noises or anything.

Guest wjmgl10

Got a turbo. Used, but solid. We will find out jsut how solid tomorrow. It will be installed in the morning. Report will be on it tomorrow night.

Again, other than the turbo going out, no problems!

Guest wjmgl10

New (actually, old from 1986 w/about 100k miles on it) turbo works great! Quiet, smooth and deadly operation!

Once again, no problems to date other than the turbo bearing. That has been solved for the time being....tranny syncros are really starting to free up nicely, and it really starting to shift like new again! Must be that Slick 50 MT treatement I put in it a few weeks before it was on the road...

Guest carfreak85

when you get the chance or courage (i know i would be weary!) could you try to net some 0-60, 1/4 mile or dyno numbers? i know that 100% accurate numbers will cost money, but i think it would help everyone get an idea of this things speed!