Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can we archive this? 9.5:1 Turbo test

Guest wjmgl10

you either emailed me, or asked me to email you...ARGHH now i am confusing myself.. I wonder how i would go about fattening up the mixture with the God&^%*ed Hotwire MAF.. will need to do that if i follow in your high compression footsteps...

May possibly be getting an 87 spfi wagon for parts.. f/t 4wd 5 speed.. N/A block and pistons.. then maybe get the euro ECU... then go stomp my best friends acura into the ground!! From there.. I CAN TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!..

well.. maybe thats a little overzealous.. but you get the point

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wjmgl10

Skip was telling me about his 87, with the hotwire. He has an Air Fuel ratio gauge, and from the emails I sent about this very topic, he said that he has never seen it run rich, and he runs over 9psi, but stock compression. He has some sort of do-dad that bypasses the 9psi cutoff, and made the first one him self. I think he has gotten a new do-dad that just interupts the elec. signal for the 9psi thing.

yeah.. I have heard of the fuel cut off doodad(thingy?).. the compression issue worries me a little.. would the raised compression necessitate a difference in the fuel flow?

Guest wjmgl10

not yet...but again, I did "tune" the FDSAFM on mine...to rich'en it up ALOT...so that woudl ensure that there would be no piston burn'age...i stil get about 24-27 mpg though.

Guest wjmgl10

1600 miles. No problems.

Added 1qt of MMO to fuel today.

Shifting seems to be a little better...still havent tried the AFT thing yet, no $$$ for that project.

Air flow meter adapter is on its way, the rest of the assembly is together, just have to cut one final peice of rubber pipe for it.

Subwoofer still not here yet...everytihng is ready for it, jsut need to wire it.

And...still adding miles!

Guest wjmgl10

1750 miles now.

New intake, take a look:

64.49.221.207/pix/wmaham1701/knair00.jpg

64.49.221.207/pix/wmaham1701/knair01.jpg

64.49.221.207/pix/wmaham1701/knair02.jpg

Parts:

1 K&N filter - $25

2. 2.5 inch elbow - $1.65

3. 2 5/8 inch rubber pipe - $8 p/ft

4. v32 1994 adapter plate - $16 w/shipping

5. duct tape and silicone sealant - $?

and whamo. there it is.

No problems to report on the rest of the car, or engine.

And 27.18 MPG so far.

Guest wjmgl10

1800 miles now...still working on the stereo syetem...sub arrived, and sounds good...awaiting time to hook up a small amp to it, and finish running wires to new front speakers.

No mechanical problems.

The part that you have bolted onto the AFS, is that home made or can I buy one some where? I want to do something VERY simmilar to my '85 turbo.8o

Guest wjmgl10

you can get one off of an 80's nissian 2xx xX series car, they have the same meter as us suby guys form 85-86 with mpfi do.

BUT, if you want something new, go to expressautoparts.com, and part number 1994, by Vibrant. V32-1994 i think. $16 total, shipped and all.

I had to get a little creative to hook my setup to it, since i had the filter and elbow assy before it arrived.

Guest archemitis

you should be doing fine with 9.5:1 and 8 lbs of boost. i have a isuzu rally car running 9.8:1 and 10lbs on the stock computer. is your timing at stock? maybe thats why your pinging. where is the fuel cut off on the turbo computer? sounds like lotsa fun! high compression and turbo is great for off road.

Guest wjmgl10

timing is at 26 deg right now. no pinging problems. turbo/fuel cut on this is fixable by disconnecting a connector that goes to a pres. switch. the 87+ have one built in, fancy bypass for those.

No off road for this one. I plan on taking this setup and either transplating it into an XT "stree racer" or into a Coupe for the same. I hope to get D/R 4wd, or FT 4WD for this before long.

Guest OH Noah

What year/model car did the carbed block come from??

My info shows that virtually all carbed models had 9.0:1 compression.

The only cars with 9.5:1 were the SPFI cars and the '85 DL 4spd.

I'm guessing that you've really only got 9.0:1 compression, and that's part of why you're having such success.

I'm thinking about running a stock turbo on my '88 SPFI Wagon. My plan is to use an '87 carbed block I have in order to lower the compression.

Guest wjmgl10

suby part numbers show the same piston for carb and SPFI. i've seen them, the pistons are the same...or has soneone got info im not aware of?

My book also shows that compression difference, but according to the subaru guy here, they are the same, jsut fuel system differences.

Guest OH Noah

I swear I remember Emily from CCR saying that they all had different pistons. I thought she said that there were 4 different pistons available for the EA82.

Do you know what year your block is from??

Guest wjmgl10

87 carb im pretty sure. maybe that is other one i got. i tihnk both are 87 one carb and one spfi..

there are oversized pistons avalible for the turbos, like 2 or 3 diff sizes.

include those 3 plus the regular turbo pistons, you've got 4 options. so...i dunno. has anyone got an official parts book? Skip?

Guest x silvershad0w x

I've been following this project of yours for quite some time. I am working on something remotely similar, with an EA81T. Higher CR (8.5), hotter cam, custom fuel/ignition computer, ported dis and dat, etc. I talked with Skip a while back about all the cool possibilities we have with the Subaru engines. If you ever want to get into all the electronics side of things deep, put me in your address book, I'd love to see some board members here push their soobs into the next century with all the stuff you can do with electronics.

Keep up the good work, I'm awaiting all the news on the longevity of your system and how it holds up. I've never read where you have an AFR meter on there you can look at, might be worth dropping the dough on one, they are pretty inexpensive for an simple LED bargraph type.

Also interested on the 9.0-9.5 quandry. This is interesting, maybe my EA81T will be 9.0 instead of an 8.5....

What about say, my car. I thought it had an EA82, but it's an 88 Subaru GL Hatchback, two wheel drive (front), is it possible to put a turbo on a carb? Isn't that you're setup (turbo on an EA81 small block with carb?) What would I need to do?

Guest wjmgl10

No, i have the EA82....

There have been...and uncountable amount of posts about turbo'in a carbed EAxx, and it really is more that you want to get into. BUT, if you can switch over to some sort of electronic fuel injection, that will make the job easy'er.

I thought they discontenued the EA81/71 hatch in 87?

The other type of "hatch" is the 3 door coupe, commonly a GL. the EA81/71 was refered to as the STD, or Standard.

My fuel system is stock, and its Multi Port Fuel Injection (MPFI). Everything is stock, except for the Intake, exhaust, pistons, and I "tuned" the air flow meter. That's it. Oh, and I converted from Auto to Manual.

Guest wjmgl10

Id had all the parts...it really wasent hard for me. I guess the HARDEST part was...romoving/installing the pedal assembly.

If I can get up $200, I will be doing 4wd conversion from an XT. 3.70 Single range, hopefully with LSD.

Does any one know if ALL XT's had 3.70, or was it just the turbos? I am talking about only the manuals.

Guest wjmgl10

I guess 2400 miles doent sound like alot...but, oh well!

Again, small update, no problems at all. I was hunting for an XT6 FT4WD, but no luck, just an XT turbo 4wd. So, whenever I get $200, it'll be here, and the conversion will be started. If any one needs any XT turbo parts (no engine though) just ask.