Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question on timing an 85 GL

I have an '85 GL that I recently got working again after it needed a distributor. I made reference points when I transfered in the new distributor, but I think I may be off a few notches on the cam gear. I had to turn the distributor all the way to the right to get it to start/run decently, but I feel the timing is still off (not advanced enough?). Whats the easiest way to check this, and how should the engine be running if I have the timing correct?

Thanks,

Matt

lne the 3 marks on the flywheel o the motor is centered. . make sure you are on the power stroke by seeing that the cam on the disty side points up. now turn the flywheel till you see the 0 deg marks. drop your disty so that the rotor is pointing to the back terminal, just to the rght of the screw(or clip) that holds the cap on. that is your #1. its the first plug on the passenger front side of the motor, its the termonal on the far back of the disty.

here is some more reading that may help

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/article.php?a=24