Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Learn somethin' new every day!

Cruisin' another board I discovered that you can open the Subaru hood to a complete upright position! The hood prop can be removed from the front of the engine compartment and positioned into a hole in the front of the passenger side strut tower (covered with a plug on some models). Darn handy especially when working towards the rear of the engine.

Love this feature. However, no-one has mentioned another major advantage:

It's a Mercedes competitive feature, so when someone is dissing Subarus you can mention that only Benz and Sube hoods can do this!

I also like to declare that I want a car with a boxer engine and four-wheel-drive. My wallet makes the Porsche vs. Subaru decision!

By the way, get your hands on the previous model S-Class Benz and open the hood to 90 degrees. HOLY SMOKE! It's like standing next to a high rise building, the hood is SO long!

WARNING: Never use the aforementioned hood position while driving as it will severely and adversely affect aerodynamics and increase gas consumption. :drunk:
I put a plexiglass window just in the center of the hood on my car and rigged the hood latch with a special spring and cable release. I use it as an emergency brake when there's ice on the road.

Honest!