Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Legacy Automatic, Cruise control troubleshooting

Hello All, new Legacy L owner and new to the Club. Great Service!!, We just purchased this and are attemting to fix the Cruise. The dash light glows, the "set, accel, cancel" lever on the column appears to be working properly. That is, I can hear the clicking noise under the dash when it is moved. Also, I can hear the unit drop out when the brakes are depressed. This kind of leaves me to the vacuum pump? under the hood? Anyone have any experience with this vintage and deliemia. OBD I unit.

Thanks, Mike

Good Idea, I'll try that tomarrow. I suspision the pump is not working at all. Any idea what the termination is configured as? I was thinking of bumping the pump over with 12v to see if she would whirl!

So it's just not working at all? What you could do to verify whether the pump is working is to connect some additional vacuum hose to the line going to the diaphragm and run that in the car. Then set the cruise and see if it has vacuum or not.

Hey Josh,

Thanks for your suggestions!. Tried the remote hose trick. Seems the "bellows" in the pump are actuating when the unit is "turned on, accellerate - resume, and cancel. However, there is no vacuum. When the unit is off, there is nothing on the end of the hose, no vaccum, no pressure. One can blow right through. As soon as the unit is turned on, it starts to pulsate, however, still no vacuum. In the various positions it behaves differently, like dead heading on accel, etc. Sounds like maybe the pump is frozen up. Would you know if a 1995 factory cruise control would work in the 93 Legacy. Looks alot alike.

Thanks again for your assistance and input.

Mike

I'm not really sure about terminal configuration.

You might find the info in here

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans/1992_FSM_(Engine_%26_Electrical)/