Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lift kit rear shock extensions same? Wag/Brat

Guest ShawnW

Guest ShawnW

Hey are the rear shock extensions the same from wagon to brat on a 3" BYB/Ozified lift kit?

I have the square edged horseshoe type pieces that attach to the upper shock mount and the metal they attached to on the brat was flat where as the metal they attach to on the wagon has a big dishout thing on it.

Shawn

Guest qman

Shawn, the bends are a little different but...

if you install it loose it will all tighten up. Just be patient and make sure the bolts are threaded correctly before you tighten it up.

Ken

Guest ShawnW

Okay my instructions say on the diff hanger theres standard and not. Mine arent labeled anymore cuz its a used kit so is the standard one the one that has the holes RIGHT down the middle and the irregular one is the one with the holes off to one side?

Thanks!

Guest pkdavis300

they'll work, just a little snugger. Follow Ken. Micks right about rear blocks- offset goes on fuel side. r/PK

Guest pkdavis300

hmmm. It will be apparent, larger gap to the outside of vehicle. You have to roll the gas tank seam lip just a bit for clearence for the block to fit without touching. Holes will line up. r/PK

Guest bratsrus1

Hi Shawn This is Jerry, when i built my 4 in. lift for my 80 hatch i just went to the tire shop and got longer shocks. I don't need that adapture. The stock shock is 17 1/2 inches open and about 11 inches closed so i got mine that go 21 3/4 inches open and 11 inches closed. Pull them out of the box and bolted them on. Thanks Jerry

Guest ShawnW

This rear shock extension really isnt working. Im pretty tempted by Jerrys idea except I have brand new shocks from ebay to put on the car.

I mounted the U shaped pieces after much fiasco, and now I cant tuck the bolts in to mount the top of the shock to the top of the shock mount.

Now I will rant and I am sorry to whomever was behind this update....

but why was the rear shock extension changed from the one that mounted at the bottom, to this!?!?!?! It seems to me that the old one was way easier to put on when I was helping Mick install the first kit to come to Iowa on his 86 Brat.

Was I supposed to put the nut/bolt onto the rear shock extension and hook it to the rear shock and then mount it to the car? That seems harder but I could be wrong.

The instructions I was pointed to on BYB's site are not describing this part of the procedure well. Do the AUS kits still contain the pieces like the old one I was used to?

Thanks, and nothing personal, I am just totally wiped from trying to do all this and frustrated. I weigh a buck forty after a full meal so this is a workout for me. :)

Normally, if I had ordered a new kit, would it have come with different pieces for this since its a wagon?

Are these U shaped pieces side specific?

Shawn

Guest SubaruJunkie

Shawn, i feel your pain. I couldnt get the upper shock mounts on my wagon either. Took almost 2 weeks. I ended up going to Ace Hardware and getting longer bolts with the same thread, and about 20 washers. I put 5 washers on each bolt behind the shock extension in order to make enough room for the extension to fit. It was the only way. Not sure how everyone else got theirs done, but its what I had to do because the bend in the extension was screwing everything up.

They are not side specific, and i believe that is the part that Patrick supplies for both Wagon and Brat.

I drove the car for about a week with no rear shocks until my next day off. What fun :)

SubaruBrat has some good info on his site on making extensions for the bottom. Also, it might not be a bad idea to do what Jerry did with longer shocks.

-Brian

Guest qman

Part of the problem with using bottom extensions is that they have a tendancy to move. Especially when the vehicle is driven a little rough. I did that type when I built mine. I ended up having to weld them in place to get them to stop moving. It really sucks when they shift and you bend a brand new KYB. No warranty for abuse.

Ken

Guest ShawnW

So could I use Jerry's type of shocks with a 3" kit too or would I have to find some that travel less?

I went looking this morning at every parts store in town and nobody could find one in the paper catalogs with the same mounts, etc.

Guest megell

For a very simple shock extension for a lifted 86 Brat, check out http://www.subarubrat.com, click on Brat Mods and then click on the shock picture. The extensions are made from worn out (free) 1/2 ton chevy PU rear shocks. I have used these extensions for over a year with no problem. I came up with this idea because I wanted the softer ride of the stock Brat shock, but didn't like the idea of an upper extension mount.

BTW, watch out for an initial squirt of oil from the donor shock when you cut the bottom off. Use old inner tube to fill in the 1mm clearance, drill hole and bolt. My 86 is lifted 3" so I cut the donor shock at 6" but drilled the hole at 3". Amost no cost involved and easy to do.

Megell

Guest ShawnW

I got it in, 1 rear axle connection to put back in (I had to swap rear diffs and did this as part of my process with the lift) and I will be done with the rear.

Thanks!

Shawn

Special thanks to Eric for the great email and Jerry for the idea of the rear shock. I went all over town looking for anything longer and nobody's paper catalogs were any help. :(

Guest bratsrus1

Hi Shawn This is Jerry, the shock that i used is call Mountain Ryder Extreme truck shock part # LL2148 it also has on it featuring velocity sensitive technology or VST. They just bolt on and fit. Thanks Jerry

Guest SubaruJunkie

Jerry, how much were those shocks? I might need to get a couple. Sounds like a lot better than the extensions on there now.

-Brian