Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lift?

subaru7

Here is a link to some instructions on making a lift kit:

http://www.subarubrat.com/hasseylift.htm

the site itself has some great info on it as well.

I made a lift from those instructions a long time ago when they were first floating around the internet and mine's held up great!

The front strut top extensions in that design don't work out that well for lifts under 6" though. That's probably the trickiest part of making your own lift. Another thing to keep in mind is that you'll need to do some work on your shifter and 4wd lever linkage after you put in a lift, since you're spacing the tranny from the body.

Personally I prefer just a body lift with no suspension lifting because of increased wear on your CVs and likely exaggerated + camber with most suspension lifting tricks.

Oh yeah, and the last thing is to just go to your auto parts store and have them open a few boxes and find a set of shocks for the back that are exactly the right length you need, with the right t-bar mount up top. that way you don't need to mess with extensions in the back, and you might get a little extra travel out of it as well.

• 3 weeks later...

You have definitely made a challenge for yourself. Justy stuff won't fit on your Hatch. EA71 is a 1600, EA81 is an 1800. The bodies are the same so the lift will work. However, that particular engine will work exccessively hard to power any size larger tires. My suggestion to you is this; keep the 2wd car for a daily driver. Find yourself a 4WD hatch or wagon and start from there. Also, shoot for the 1800 instead of the 1600. It will give you better performance in offroad applications.