Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another weird electrical problem. 95 Legacy Wagon

Hello I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

In the last couple of days I have been having a wierd problem with my Legacy. One day I notice when I started the car that it was hard to turn over, but it did. I drove the car for around 30 minutes. Then notice that my gages were jumping up and down. Didn't think anything of it. Until when I was starting to accellerate, my headlights started to dim. Then my radio would turn off. then the ABS , Brake, Oil temp, and one other light would come on and the transmission wouldn't switch gears. Until I let off the gas pedal. Then the dash lights would go out, gear would change, radio would turn back on, and the headlights would be bright again. But if I push on the gas pedal, all that would start all over again. So thinking that possibly it was a battery I went and bought a new one. switch it, and the car work most of the day until I noticed the Brake light and Battery light. (Which was the other light I didnt mention above.) turned on but the car worked normally. Until I turned it off. Then tried to restart and it was like my new battery was dead. It wouldn't turn over. But when I got a jump it started right up drove it 300 feet sputtering as soon as I turned the blinker it died. Sorry for the long story but I figured someone might be able to point me in some direction. I'm no mechanic. But I do understand how the car works, and can turn a wrench. I'm trying to save a penny or 2 due to the fact I'm in the process of a divorce and a single parent father with 3 kids, and will not see much child support. (And I'm not whining poor me) I'm letting you know why I'm searching for a little direction or maybe someone has experienced the same problem and can tell me what they did. or what they had to do. That way I can be prepared.

Thank in advanced

Tybrito

Brake and Battery light on? Alternator is bad.

Most likely it's the "diode bridge" or rectifier that's burned out. You should be able to find an exchange part. Swapping the alternator is pretty easy. Just remember to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery before you start working on it. 12V isn't going to make your heart stop, but if you cause a short circuit with a wrench it will get hot enough to burn your hand!

Thanks alot. I will do work on that and let you know.

Brake and Battery light on? Alternator is bad.

Most likely it's the "diode bridge" or rectifier that's burned out. You should be able to find an exchange part. Swapping the alternator is pretty easy. Just remember to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery before you start working on it. 12V isn't going to make your heart stop, but if you cause a short circuit with a wrench it will get hot enough to burn your hand!

sorry for laughing.

Jesus , man, that has to be one of the best posts I have ever seen on this forum.

Its hard to believe that that could happen to such a nice person.

I agree that it is probably your alternator, but, my god , you went and bought a new battery?

If you have a little meter gadget , to measure voltage etc., then this sort of thing can easily be diagnosed.

engine off-------good battery should read about 13.2 volts

engine on ---------the reading should read at least 14.8 volts.

that is the normal charging voltage from the alternator.

It does not take long for a battery to go down, if alternator is not working. Batteries should never get discharged completely

because they cant recover from that condition.

Dont throw the old one away just yet.

Put some EDTA in each cell, and charge it up again, either in the car, or with a home charger unit.

I just love your "personal quote" . its had me laughin for over an hour now.

Nice to see someone is a bit like me in this world.

WONDERFUL, in fact.

cheers, John

( recovering from whisky nite , in Scotland"

wow, its weird

Another vote for alternator. When mine went out the Brake and Battery dash lights came on simultaneously.

Mine was covered under a recall and replaced for free at the dealer. You should check to see if yours is covered, they may have affected the '95 to '99 Legacies.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...