Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

99 Outback 02 Sensor code

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shimonmor

shimonmor

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Sedro Woolley, WA

Posted 31 October 2004 - 07:12 PM

The wife's 99 Outback (100k miles, MT) just popped the "Check Engine" light. Mo OBD II scanner says it's code 141, Downstream O2 sensor heater problem. Looked in the Haynes and it has a photo of the upstream sensor but not the downstream. It also has some minimal troubleshooting checks for voltages and resistance. Anyway, I erased the code and it hasn't come back yet and I'm wondering if this is a common failure (like the EGR) or was it just a spurious reading? I'm a marine diesel mech so I know my way around an engine but I don't know that much about all this emmisions stuff. Any suggestions? How much do these sensors cost? Are they a pain in the rear to get to? Thanks! (Just discovered this forum...it's about time there was a Subaru forum!)

#2 shimonmor

shimonmor

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Sedro Woolley, WA

Posted 07 November 2004 - 01:30 PM

Well, I ended up replacing both the front and rear O2 sensors since I figured the front one is usually only good for 100k miles and I was under there already. Wasn't too hard. Just need a 22mm wrench. Turns out that my code didn't go out after changing out the rear sensor so I figured it was a wiring problem. I traced the wiring harness and found that it has a connector at the top of the bellhousing and the connector had come loose. Just pushed them back together and I was back in business. So, I'm sure the rear sensor was probably still good...but I'll rationalize this experience and just call it good preventative maintenance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users