Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX Motor update and secret HP bonus..PICS!

Well my JDM motor got here on friday afternoon after the little mix-up. I tore it completely down to the long block (and a little farther, cam covers, oil pan, water pump, oil pump, etc) and started building it back up with new parts. I tell ya the inside of this 30k-40k motor is super clean and in amazing shape! Well added my secret HP gaining bonus of some flashy super high temp engine paint, good for at least 30hp right? :drunk: And after a couple days of replacing seals & gaskets, oil pump (old oil filter is good hand hold while painting an oil pump), water pump, painting then repainting, etc I haven't gotten very far but the RX is already drooling and can't wait to get that 200k motor out of it. Another couple weekends of building up and I'll be slamming her in. Anyhow had to show off the longblock paint job (to think I almost painted it white to match the car until I remembered, oh yeah it's a Sube motor..white=bad idea)

pengine.jpg

tpaint.jpg

The secret HP bonus is beer, carb cleaner, and lots of paint in a garage for a weekend! At least makes you feel like your going faster or passing out...then you stand back and say damn I really didn't get much done.

Welp it's basically ready now except a few odds and ends that I need off the current engine. Decided I will wait and keep the current Alt/AC setup to make things easier for restoring the AC someday. Aiming to slap it all in with a new clutch next weekend :clap: as long as the oil cooler setup gets here this next week. Spent so much time hand cleaning those parts, that high temp paint better hold (I'm sure it won't). So here is another teaser picture...

arengine.jpg

Bah! Was supposed to be getting my new engine all in this weekend but have been delayed by the dreaded FLU :-\ (Somehow I always get sick on weekends or when not working anyways wth?). Plus my oil cooler hasn't showed up yet. Oh well have vacation days I got to burn before the end of the year anyways so taking thursday-friday off next week here for a nice extended weekend to get it done nice and slow.

Also been checking out some electronic boost controllers to run after I figure out what I'm going to do about the IC. Any suggestion on what kind to run? Looking for a relatively cheap one $100-200 with at least a hi-lo setting, but want reliability.

Another Side Note:Local exhaust shop qouted me $745 to create me a complete new catless exhuast system (car is registered deep in the mountains where it doesn't and will never have to pass emissions). That is header, DP, 2.5 inch all the way back(after the turbo)...that will have to wait a bit cash flow hurting atm.