Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got amps? GM Alternators! (pics and part#'s added)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hummmm that don't look too hard. Wonder if that alt will fit in mine. I still got the factory A/C in there. Really need more current. With both fans, the heater, headlights, fog loght, and stereo blasting, the volt meter bounces around 12V at 3000rpm to the beat of Barry Manilow. :-\

i picked up the alternator, and wiring,got a weber.need to rebuild the weber,get an air filter for it, and the adapter plates .then it will be on.i was surprised to see the similarity of these two alts.i actually got mine from the yard for 8 bucks.it is a newer reconditioned unit.

no last i knew they did not hve any coe tha makes it function as a laternator based on teh return voltage from the crank sensor

but now that you mention it i will talk to teh code writing guy and asee what he can do

cool no alt = more free hp by god northwet your a genius

hehehehehehehehehe

• 1 month later...

Well, I think my alt lost a diode, so I'll probably do this convesion soon. The voltage bounces a little when I'm idling with my lights on and the altenator is right at the max it can put out at that rpm.

If you run a larger wire straight to the battery from the alternator, you won't have to worry about the wiring harness. Nothing that draws power through the factory harness will draw any more with that alternator than it did before. Just be sure to run the power supplies for any add-ons straight to the battery too.

X35, I've been watching this thread too, wondering about fitment on the XT6, which has the Serpentine belt also....

Huck, if this thing only puts out 100-105 amps, would it really be worth it to swap out our 90amp alternators? If so, I might consider it too. I guess 10-15 amps is better - and if it's an easy swap (especially considering our 6 rib serpentine belt).

I'm about 90% done with the writeup for this. Been working on it in my "i'm too bored to do anything else" time. Just I dont get that bored that often. I'm guessing I'll move it up the priority list and crank it out a bit faster.

Ideally, you'd want to run a large gauge wire straight to the hot side of the battery. Unless you already have enough accessories that were taxing the stock harness, you can just as easily run it through the stock harness without major issue. Which is exactly what I continue to do. I plan on leavin it on the stock harness for as long as I can just to see what its limits are. I've been testing the limits of other devices already. I've melted two 30A relays while testing my 700watt headlights. :grin: I dont like to follow pre-set rules. I like to find my own limits. ;)

Even if you decide to install a large gauge straight to the battery, you can just tape off the stock connector and call it a day. The low draw of the current accssories can continue to pull from where its pulled from all along, as its draw will not increase just cause you've got a larger alternator on there. Just remember that any new, high draw accessories will need to be fed straight from the hot side.

Cheers. :drunk:

ps by the way, I'll run up and try to find out about fitting a 6 rib serpentine pulley sometime today. I've got 5 gadzillion things catching fire and blowing up all at once right now. The day is quickly going down the toilet. flush.gif

Okay.. I forgot to check about that serpentine pulley.. I'll do it tomorrow, I swear! I've already written a post-it and stuck it to my bathroom mirror. When I wake up, I'll head into town and research it.

I did however get the writeup done. Once the mods finally approve it, you can click here to view it in the USRM.

As long as your current grounds are good, I dont see any need for anything additional above stock (unless you're already taxing your system with some serious accessories). At the same time, you can never have too much in the way of grounding. It wouldnt hurt a thing to beef it up a bit if you had the desire to do so. :)

More likely a bad ground than low output from your alternator.

as long as your battery is charged that shouldnt happen. Like edrach said, a bad ground, or maybe a dying alt and a weak battery. It doesnt take much to turn over a sube motor so batteries can continue to start the car even when they are next to toast.

Heh.. either I'm paying waay too much attention to USMB, or not enough.

My local parts house had 5 different diameter 6 rib pulleys that could be swapped on. No part number, as they're just leftovers from other swaps.

So, yes, those with the XT6... yes there is a 6 rib serpentine pulley that can be swapped onto the alternator! Check your local parts house.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i contacted parts america and this is what they sent me.

Your Palladium P7157 alternator fits the following vehicles:

BUICK

1977 CENTURY

1977 ELECTRA

1978 LESABRE

CADILLAC

1980-1984 COMMERCIAL CHASSIS

1980-1984 DEVILLE

1980-1985 ELDORADO

1979-1985 FLEETWOOD

1980-1985 SEVILLE

CHEVROLET

1984-1985 P30 VAN

GMC

1984-1985 P35/P3500 VAN

OLDSMOBILE

1979 CUTLASS

1979 CUTLASS CALAIS

1979 CUTLASS CRUISER

1979 CUTLASS SUPREME

Mike

Hey,

XT6 guy here... I was looking at this and there are a few corrections. First Austin said if its only 10 more amps then stock XT-6, then why do it? Well first its 40 more amps then stock, AND theres a kit to make it a 200Amp BEAST! I'll repost this here:

http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=67

Secondly if you look at that site they also provide pulleys that are twin V, AND 6 groove serp style pulleys in different sizes with a little math thing to do to get the right one. Next Time I'm at a yard I'll check it out and bring some of this to the XT-6 side of things if I do it. I hate turning in the cold night and running out of power steering. I think the extra 40 amps would do wonders. Plus I wonder if it would be easier to rid my car of the AC

i contacted parts america and this is what they sent me.
Awesome! An actual list. I am going to swipe it and add it to the writeup, with a "thanks to" of course. ;)

<snip all he said above>
Its funny you should post a link to fordfuelinjection.com. Ryan is one of my friends from fullsizebronco.com. To all of you, consider this another shameless plug for Ryan's site. He sells some good stuff. :headbang: