Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got amps? GM Alternators! (pics and part#'s added)

It isnt quite the same thing but since you made it work... very cool.

My headlights aren't any brighter at idle and I found that I should turn the stereo down as well or would drop below 12V. Now anything over 1200 RPM and OH Yeah ! lights are bright and the stereo is turned back up.

And for the update since I sinstalled my Alt 5-6 years ago. No problems!

It is very big and I think my pulley is off by just a little. My belt now needs to replaced.. Though the car has sat for a bit over a year waiting for my lazy arse to replace a headgasket. (Finally running!)

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

speaking of alternators.

JCWhitney lists an alternator for the 92 loyale, i think its a bosch, boasting up to 200amps output

anyone tried one of those? not sure if we're talking ea81's or ea82's in this thread

A '92 Loyale is an EA82. I looked up the JC Whitney alt. and for approx. $90 I very much doubt that it's 200A. It is very likely a 60A stock replacement. If you read the statement containing the 200A reference:

* Bosch Alternators deliver amperage output up to 200 amps, while also providing maximum available amperage at low engine RPM

* Very high output, high capacity alternators for a wide variety of sport compact vehicles, including the most popular Asian imports

* High output available on certain models

it seems pretty obvious that this is a general statement about Bosch alternators saying that they may "deliver amperage up to 200 amps .... High output available on certain models".

I've got '86 Nissan Maxima 90A alternators (that I found out about on the good old USMB) in my '87 and '89 EA82's. They bolt right in, but the Maxima serpentine pulley has to be changed to the Subaru one (preferably one piece and not the split kind) and you have to make or have made a spacer to do this). I've had both of them running for about a year now without any problems. Along with upgraded 6ga cables, 120A Fuses, and an auxiliary battery I use them to run 1200W inverters located under the driver seat to power AC stuff - 750W coffer maker, 750W hot plate, AC drop lights, drills, etc. Very handy out in the boonies.

• 1 year later...

contacted parts america and this is what they sent me.

Your Palladium P7157 alternator fits the following vehicles:

I tried to pick one of these alternators up today... the housings looked nothing like the pics... is there another Part number? What engine was used in these rigs? Im guessing a chev 350? I couldn't use the parts america#

I tried Napa & Carquest has anyone done this recently? can i get a part number PLEASE :-\

BUICK

1977 CENTURY

1977 ELECTRA

1978 LESABRE

CADILLAC

1980-1984 COMMERCIAL CHASSIS

1980-1984 DEVILLE

1980-1985 ELDORADO

1979-1985 FLEETWOOD

1980-1985 SEVILLE

CHEVROLET

1984-1985 P30 VAN

GMC

1984-1985 P35/P3500 VAN

OLDSMOBILE

1979 CUTLASS

1979 CUTLASS CALAIS

1979 CUTLASS CRUISER

1979 CUTLASS SUPREME

That is the correct part number I had to order it online which by the way saves you a few dollars probably more if you can order one from a good parts house like Rockauto or the partsbin. The housing is larger so yes it is different. I have done this swap and it works just fine to this day. I think a different pully would be better because at idle it pushes around 11~ volts or so lower when I had the stereo turned up but never made it fluctuate @ cruising speed.

Mike

If you want something that takes less mods and will bolt directly in - try the Nissan Maxima 90 amp alternator upgrade instead. It doesn't have the voltage drop at idle and bracket modifications needed for the GM alt and is around the same price. Plus it has an internal fan, it's metric, and you can use the same pulley off your OEM alt which means no belt changes, etc. All around an easier swap IMO.

GD

• 1 year later...

General Disorder is correct in that the Maxima alt is cleaner and easier not to mention less time consuming.. I have done both, and still running both. Here is my .02 the gm alt at idle doesnt quite put out 12 volts, it needs a different pulley. You will be cutting the tabs off the inside of the GM alt and making a new bracket to get the belt to line up and is more guesswork than science. The maxima is remove the pulley shave the spacer and reinstall pulley. On the up side both are working still and really dont have a problem with either but I wont do another GM alt..

Mike