Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm in the process of diagnosing my rear gate power lock actuator issue. It's a '98 OBW w/2.5L. I pulled everything apart the other day, put an ohm/amp meter on the power connection, switched the power locks on/off a few times to find nothing on the meter. Ran 12V through the actuator to have it swing so I don't think it's the actuator. I inspected the wires running through the top of the gate, no wear there. I checked out the fuses and have access to a Haynes book, but didn't find much in either of those places. All the other doors work like a charm.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? The plate lights and rear washer fluid pump don't seem to be operational either.

I hate electrical!

Electrical is very linear. Don't be intimidated. The fact that you have a problem with a branch of the circuitry involving plate lights and rear washer as well as the rear actuator would point you to a junction or multiconnector where they all come together as the culprit. I don't have Haynes but check to see if by chance these three items are on one fuse and make certain WITH YOUR OHMETER that the fuse governing this area is OK.

If they are not on the same fuse or the fuse tests OK. Then check out the electrical schematic (does Haynes have one) and follow the lines.

Sorry I can't be more specific.