Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 4wd D/R EA82 SPFI Wagon Build

Does this sound/look feasible to you guys?

87 4wd D/R EA82 SPFI Wagon Build

4"/3" Lift

30x9.50 BFG M/T on 15x7 IFS Toyota Rims

(Tires currently measure 28.5" Diamter unmounted)

Redrill hubs for 6 lugs

OBA using York 210 in stock is location

Bob 9-12" off butt

Custom Bumpers with portable 2500 LB ATV Winch mount

Rock Sliders

Front Half Doors

Heres a quick photo chop of what I was thinking. I borrowed the picture for the gallery and I forgot who it was...Sorry.

Looks like a good plan to me! what about welding the diff or lsd?

I'm still unsure on that one. I will probably go LSD because I don't like the idea of swapping an axle in to go wheeling even though I know welding performs way better. But it would be pretty easy to just solid axle the rear and keep the lift low.

Something needs to be done back there. I just did some very light wheeling and these rigs could really benefit from a locker of some kind.

I wonder how close a sammi axle is? I've got a friends with some extra's laying around. They already have lockers in them. :brow:

I wonder how close a sammi axle is? I've got a friends with some extra's laying around. They already have lockers in them. :brow:

I think you would need a 4wd toy axle since its 6 lug and already has correct bolt circle. Sami only have a 5 lug. And nissan/datsun axles are really expensive to get gears and lockers for......

does anyone know if the XT6 5 lug bolt pattern is the same as a Sami (5 on 5.5") or Ranger (5 on 4.5") Bolt pattern??

If I did decide to half door the rear doors then I think i would like to do something like this ....... Half doors are realy pretty easy to make but they do take a lot of time since the sheetmetal welding is usually corner to corner. and sicne they are right infront of you, its hard to cut corners because you will see all the little defects in the body work.

Guess I found my new avatar...

post-6450-136027596717_thumb.jpg

well some datsun 2wd 720s came with 3.9 gears so that would be the axle to find to match the gears in the subaru front diff. Im not sure if there are any samurais or toyota axles that come stock with 3.9 gears.

79-80 4x4 toyota had 3.90 gears! Plus 'I believe' there are the 3.73 gears that came in the 2wd 1-tons that had the 8" diffs which will swap into a 4wd housing.

Yes my plan is to basically make a long wheel base 4 door hatch back..... Should be sweet.

A york 210 is the biggest "York" full size Air compressor that people use to make engine driven On Board Air systems that are belt driven off the engine.

For more info read here.....

http://www.onboardair.com

Here is the one I installed on my 2wd pre-runner.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168115&highlight=york

My 4runner is bobb'd 9"

My 2wd is stretched 13" on the cab and then the what use to be long bed is cut down 13" inteh front and 20" off the back.

so as for the work involved, I think it should be pretty easy. I think the hardest part will be just the bondo work to make it look factory. Thats where you can really confuse people!

For the windows I think I will just make some new ones out of some thin plexglass and glue them them. For the doors I will just have two sets..... One for the road and one for wheeling. but hopefully I can come up with something to make the half doors kinda weather proof with a removable canvas......

with half doors your exposing yourself to the elements anyways, lose the windows weld in stretched metal and keep a couple pieces of plexiglass handy that are cut to size for winter then just zip tie in like a tranny cooler add-on or even use some thumb screws, put some foam or weatherstrip around edge to seal out the wind and rain and snow and mud and well you get the picture. Gotta say the bobwagon looks pretty sweet. :headbang:

and as long as your lightening up and opening up, take another hatch, take out backglass and cut down into lower portion and cap off like your half door then just use some netting like those tailgate thingys.it'll definitly be breezy on the way home but what the hay its all good.

• 2 weeks later...

Well heres what I got to work with and the progress I've made so far...... Oh if I do Bob it I figured I can take up to 13" pretty easy and then I will have to rebadge it as a Stubaru.....:brow:

Picture 1, its a 87 SPFI D/R 5 speed wagon. Pretty bad shape on the inside but its got the drivetrain I wanted. Also the engine needs to be sealed up because I hate leaking cars!

Picture 2, Its a 85 with no engine or tranny but its has good interior and adjustable struts. So its just a donor part car.

Picture 3, what the interior looked like after I removed the seats? Yuck.... Nothing a little elbow grease and cleaners can't handle. BTW I even found a black film canister with some old weed flakes in it. :-\

Picture 4, Carpet and rear seats installed!

sweet man, i love it when a plan comes together.i would be interested in coming down to oregon and learning a few tricks next summer.i'll bring the brat,it will be kickin it live by then....got some friends down there i need to see anyway,maybe i can make some new friends .can't wait to see it bobbed. :drunk:

Picture 5, Front seats installed and cleaned up. Also the center console. I foud out that Castrol Super Clean also works awesome on the interior.....

Picture 6, Then to swap out the dash pads I had to remove everything out of the dash. What a PITA!!!!! That made for a long night.

Picture 7, But the finished product was well worth it. No all I need to do is get a real stereo in there and get my CB installed. It actually turned out better than I expected.

I also got a change to actually drive it a bit but I need to find those oil leaks pronto because it apear to be dripping onto the exhaust and burning off. What a freak'n mess. I'm Soooo tempted to just pull the engine and reseal it but I haven't totally deiceded yet. I still need to get my previous project sold so I can devote the garage to this project and have some CASH to work with. Anybody want to buy my 83 Toyota xtra cab?

Rick,

Looks like an awesome project!....Can you help me out with 3 questions...

1. Does the Castrol Super Clean cut the tar like junk used under the carpets?

2. What type of welding are you doing on your auto sheet metal projects, and can you give any hints...TIG, MIG, pulsing?

3. What kind of welding rod seems to work well with Japanese auto sheet metal (Subaru if you have gotten that far) in your experience?

Thanks very much! Here on the east coast we have to battle body rust, and I am about ready to start cutting and welding!