Ultimate Subaru Message Board

03 Outback dash vs 2000 Legacy dash

I just purcahsed my 2003 outback. It has a single 1-DIN CD/reciever unit in-dash.

I want to add Cassette player capability to this set up; by either augmenting what's there or replacing it entirely.

My friend replaced the stock Cassette/Receiver and CD Player (1-DIN each) in his 2000 Legacy GT with an aftermarket system. Will his discarded system fit in my Outback? If yes, any suggestions on how to do this myself. If no, what other suggestions can you give me. I can provide an image of my setup if that would help.

First time to post a thread on this forum. It looks well organized. I traded in my 87 GL (240K miles) for this Outback just yesterday. The GL was a great rig. It was a special set up... 2WD with a Turbo and all the heavy-duty set up that normally is found on a 4WD turbo (bigger brakes, for example.) It absolutally NEVER broke down, except for when the timing belts went south (always right on schedule... I learned to replace them in the dark!) I hope the Outback doesn't give me cause to miss the old GL.